F-8 E Crusader VMFA 235 Da Nang 1966

EricF

Fellows modellers,

After my recent Mig-21, I'm starting today my next build.

Back to the sixties in Viêt Nam with this Trumpeter F-8E Crusader in a colorful scheme from the VMFA 235.

The only available and rare decal sheet now is the one from Victory Production.

Here below two pics of the after market kits I'm going to work with to improve the level of details of this kit.

190106093259159152.jpg

190106093300278461.jpg

See you soon for the first updates.

Stay tuned

Eric

Edited by EricF

Hi Eric,

It seems the URLs to both your images are broken, as clicking on each produces a "server not found" error. And I notice that while they're both similar, they don't each point to the same website. Might be worth verifying your links if you can.

Kev

19 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Hi Eric,

It seems the URLs to both your images are broken, as clicking on each produces a "server not found" error. And I notice that while they're both similar, they don't each point to the same website. Might be worth verifying your links if you can.

Kev

Thanks Kev Working good now

One of the first things I wanted to check was how does the Aires Wheel well fit. We know all of us that it could be  surprise.

Honestly, I am positively surprised Only a minor adjustment is needed on the front. I will check later the front wheel well fit with the intake.

Any feed back from people having built this kit is warmly welcome

Cheers

Eric

190106104552185371.jpg

190106104553138392.jpg

Hi,

Before listing the correction to be made on the model, I started today on the scribing to make thinner. The skin of a Crusader is quite clean.

This is how I proceed

To do so, I start first by using the Trumperter's one as a guide with a dry point 

190108063732270678.jpg:D

Then after I sand the surface to reduce the width of the original scribing

190108063733173081.jpg

The here below pics show the result. I used panel liner to hilight it for the picture.

190108063734544909.jpg

190108063735578156.jpg

Stay tuned :D I come back soon 

Eric

Hi everyone,

A little update I'm still improving the surface details, so nothing very impressive to show for now. But a friend of mine sent me this scan of the particular aircraft I'm building.  It is confirmed buy the missions score that we also find on the decal sheet and the tip of the number 4 on the bottom right of the pic. An interesting detail is located on the far left of the picture where we can see that the radar cone is not white ... but beige. 

190110102650814864.jpg

The whole fuselage is done now I worked on the central wings where I decided to remove the stiffeners that we don't find on the real thing 

At least as far as I can see on my doc. I remove the rivets as well, using cyano. It did not find them realistics for the scale. To do so, I prefer using the cyano instead of putty because there is no risk to have a retraction effect during sanding then after. 

190110103655359703.jpg

Still using the same technique, we only have the main structure with the spoilers..... and a beautiful skin.

190110103656475046.jpg

Happy modeling! Thanks for watching.

Eric