Revell 1/32 Lockheed P-38J Lightning

Trak-Tor

4 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Ok, well, it would take a much longer discussion to cover this! In short, the Revell kit has horrible raised (and inaccurate) surface detail, awful landing gear, terrible cockpit detail, and the front chin scoop openings are bad. The overall shape is pretty good, so the best success I have had was to sand the crap out of it and re-scribe, then close it up and make it a flight display, but that's your call.

As far as using Trumpeter kit AM, I'd say you might make use of some cockpit details, and maybe some gear bay stuff, but a lot of the other exterior stuff may not work well.

Your mission, should you choose to do it OOB, is a tough one. To do it accurately would be even tougher, but you certainly have the skill, so I'm excited to see what you do.

Tim

Hmmm.

Tim, sounds like I might not live long enough to do all the corrections needed to bring the Revell kit to my preferred state. How is the Trump kit? Pretty accurate in shape? I've got Profimodeler props for it, anything else might be recommend for it? I've had a Has.1/48  P-38J on the bench(aka Shelf of Doom) for at least 2 house moves, might be time to put it aside and start on one the 'proper' scale. Until my latest LB is finished, that is.

Thanks,

D.B.

Yes, the Trumpeter kit is light years better for overall accuracy, though still not perfect. It's chief shortcoming is that the recessed rivets are way too big and deep, as are the panel lines. However, most of that can be corrected by some primer and sanding, which you'd want to do anyway to get the finish smooth, get low spots out, etc. The lines aren't too bad for placement, either. The pit and gear bays are still pretty sparse and not 100% accurate, but they can benefit from some good AM, of which there is quite a lot available. The gun bay is crap, though, so I'd close it up unless you want to do a ton of scratching. Even the available AM for the gun bay doesn;t even get it close, to my eye, anyway. Having built both, the Trumpeter kit is still the way to go if you're wanting an accurate final product but it will still take some work. I keep hoping someone like Tamiya, HK, or ZM will eventually make a really good one.

The Revell kit is still a fun OOB build for the price if you wanna bang one together in a weekend for giggles. And Juraj is the guy who can pull this one off like no other!

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

Everything that Tim posted is right on the money. The Trumpeter is a better kit, but depending how you want to go, it can be a lot of work or a whole lot of work. Did do a build on one for a GB, a lot of work but i'm happy with the results. If i did another i would still start with the Trumpeter kit...

Don

1 hour ago, BiggTim said:

Yes, the Trumpeter kit is light years better for overall accuracy, though still not perfect. It's chief shortcoming is that the recessed rivets are way too big and deep, as are the panel lines. However, most of that can be corrected by some primer and sanding, which you'd want to do anyway to get the finish smooth, get low spots out, etc. The lines aren't too bad for placement, either. The pit and gear bays are still pretty sparse and not 100% accurate, but they can benefit from some good AM, of which there is quite a lot available. The gun bay is crap, though, so I'd close it up unless you want to do a ton of scratching. Even the available AM for the gun bay doesn;t even get it close, to my eye, anyway. Having built both, the Trumpeter kit is still the way to go if you're wanting an accurate final product but it will still take some work. I keep hoping someone like Tamiya, HK, or ZM will eventually make a really good one.

The Revell kit is still a fun OOB build for the price if you wanna bang one together in a weekend for giggles.

Tim

Tim, thanks for taking the time to give the ins and outs of Trump's P-38. From what you say it'll make into a good looking model w/o heroic efforts. Was considering a Ju 88, but will start by trying Woody's (Archer Fine Transfers)  technique of filling divots on the 38 - link is on his F4F build post.

Appreciate You,  (Time honored East Texas expression)

D.B.

• 1 month later...

Well, after a few weeks I think it's time for an update, however small.
I've got almost everything cleared, filled, test fitted.
First glue bled.

I've filled off the seatbelts, as I've one of RB's that I can try to use.
And I started to open some holes/intakes...
I'm still not sure about removing the detail and rescribing, as that would mean many weeks of delay for me, I'm afraid.
And now the pictures:

32182669647_c79e7154c5_b.jpg

32182669497_d8cc1af850_b.jpg

32182669277_2f242e77da_b.jpg

32182669177_56fe4d7ee3_b.jpg

32182668907_1d05305547_b.jpg

47072413622_87f8d816cd_b.jpg

And the poor long-legged pilot deserved to be put into one piece, although I won't be using him, probably:

46401136004_be9c6d07a4_b.jpg

P38_006_865 by Juraj Jankovič, on Flickr

Cheers

Juraj

5 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

And the poor long-legged pilot deserved to be put into one piece, although I won't be using him, probably:

46401136004_be9c6d07a4_b.jpg

P38_006_865 by Juraj Jankovič, on Flickr

Cheers

Juraj

Haha, I swear he's wearing "moon boots". Any of you other guys from the 80's remember those?

On a serious note it looks like a great start and I like your test fit. I bet that helps deter you from sanding and scribing as that test fit makes it look like you're almost done.

• 10 months later...

Well, obviously,  even a year is too short for me... :rolleyes:

There is almost no progress on this one.
I'm sorry....

But here are the good news.
Finally, in last few weeks, I have managed to turn this:

38986326762_53363d6e14_b.jpg

Posted here almost 2 years ago:

into this:

49223262248_dbae649aca_b.jpg

It's not finished yet, a spray booth and possibly even forced ventilation are on the list in coming weeks, for example.
But it's ready for some real work.

So as there's still hope, please move this into WiP section later.
I definitely plan to finish the Lightning.

Thanks.

Juraj

As a side-note i'd prefer the trump lightning, do some TLC and replace its propellor blades with the ones in the Revell kit, that's how i progressed with (again a holding project......) my P38M nightfighter, and ok, there might be a much better representation of a P38 somewhere in the future by Zmasegawamiya but for now you're doing a great job, have fun building......

J.

• 2 weeks later...