1/32nd Hawker Hunter F5 - April 14th

crobinsonh

Neat solution to the tailpipe fitting problem.

If it's of any use, I've found that a selection of plastic cable ties can be helpful with making grilles.

Some have vertical ribs, which can help evenly space copper wires, while better ones have 'toothed' 45 degree angle ridges which look good when sprayed at the optimum angle.

Although in larger scales, sometimes the hard graft of accurately spacing card rectangles is the only way to get an acceptable result.

21 hours ago, MikeC said:

Some good work there.  Just wondering what squadron markings you're planning?

1 Squadron at RAF Tangmere in Suez stripes.

19 hours ago, Chek said:

Neat solution to the tailpipe fitting problem.

If it's of any use, I've found that a selection of plastic cable ties can be helpful with making grilles.

Some have vertical ribs, which can help evenly space copper wires, while better ones have 'toothed' 45 degree angle ridges which look good when sprayed at the optimum angle.

Although in larger scales, sometimes the hard graft of accurately spacing card rectangles is the only way to get an acceptable result.

Thats a great tip. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

A few updates after taking the images from my visit with John from Britmodeller to see the incredible F5 at Tangmere. It looks like she is in the final inspection hall at Hawkers as she is immaculate.

I had spent some time removing the Revell grills etc and either using Eduard PE or scratch plastic fins for the grills all of which was a complete waste of time and energy 

The first thing I did was to draw out a scale plan of where the vents for the F5 with the Sapphire engine are vs. the F6 with RR Avon that the Revell kit is based on.

Oo4Nel.jpg

This then allowed me to draw where these would be on the Revell kit. Anything with an X through it is in the wrong place!

oaUZ5w.jpg

Showing the other side.

D7UfSD.jpg

The following photographs from my trip to Tangmere show the reference I used for placement of vents and grilles.

buYAXO.jpg

StCIj9.jpg

gDngsK.jpg

Nice work! I want to do a Suez marked Hunter, too and have the Revell kit in the stash, too. I would have to pull it out; didn't their early version include inserts in the wings without the dogtooth?

On 2/22/2019 at 12:57 AM, Chek said:

... but when I went to get some refs from the one that used to be at Waterbeach, it had gone.

If you mean WN904, the F2 that used to be on the gate, it's now being restored at the Sywell museum.  http://www.sywellaviationmuseum.org.uk/?page_id=291

If you're on FB, there's a series of photos of its transport and restoration, with much useful detail.   https://www.facebook.com/SywellAviationMuseum/

Edited by MikeC

15 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Nice work! I want to do a Suez marked Hunter, too and have the Revell kit in the stash, too. I would have to pull it out; didn't their early version include inserts in the wings without the dogtooth?

Not that I am aware of - that said I may have missed it :-)