Dremel type tools

Night Hog

Is there anything out there that has a slower speed (>5000RPM) than a Moto-tool. These old 76-year-old hands aren't as steady as they used to be. I remember that years ago Exacto had a low speed battery powered drill. Perfect for drilling small holes in styrene bu probably not strong enough for grinding. Is there anything out there for us old-timers?

Thx,

Dick

I use my Dremel rechargeable for general work and the Proxxon for delicate work. The Proxxon can slow right down but I agree with Bob’s comments

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text

I have never heard of Proxxon. I was looking at the range , they look great. Good prices too. The real reason i bought the dremel above is because it had a chuck and was only £40. Have you guys tried the Proxxon sander?

I've still got my old original Dremel (the black ones) with variable speed.

When I bought it I also bought a Dremel flexible shaft drive that's about 3 feet long and better than using the Dremel on it's own as the "business end" is thin and can be held like a pen so more accurate.

It can be turned right down to very slow and if you kink the drive shaft it slows down even more !

Still have to be careful about any heat build up though.

9 hours ago, otis252 said:

Which Dremel tool would be right for grinding off resin pour blocks and thinning cockpit side walls? Thanks.

Chuck

Anyone that has variable speed that can slow down...

The problem with these types of tools for model work is that if the bit spins too quickly, you will create too much friction and heat which melts areas around what you are working on, rather than simply remove material.

So it can damage parts of a piece that aren't intended to be ground away.

The key is to get one with variable speed.

I use my dremel 300 series on plastics, metals and wood.

My trick to prevent the plastic from melting, is using moderate to high speed but letting the business end of the tool only touch the plastic for a couple of seconds. 

I mostly use diamond coated toolbits. The ball shaped ones are great for thinning plastic. Just make sure you move it around a lot, so it can "scrape" the plastic instead of "biting" into it.

Sincerely

Pascal

I don't use a dremel. I have a Fordom flex shaft that i use for grinding, some drilling. Put to just drill holes from 1/16" up to say a 1/4" I use a small battery operated hex bit drill I got at Home Depot or Lowes for about $25.00 bucks. I'm  69 so my hands are getting a little shacky too.