Zoukei Mura Kawasaki Ki-45 Kai Tei (Late) - FINISHED !!!

Jan_G

I just love the painting and weathering.  How are you replicating the chipping?  It looks perfect.  I try to do the chipping but usually end up overdoing it.  It's probably because I'm not using acrylic paints or too much chipping fluid.  Are you using acrylic paints or doing another chipping method?  Sorry if you already explained this.

Bryan

On 1/18/2019 at 10:20 PM, VintageEagle said:

Hi Jan, looks outstanding. How do you achieve such a convincing chipping effect? Chipping fluid? Cheers, Roger

On 1/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, Durangokid said:

I just love the painting and weathering.  How are you replicating the chipping?  It looks perfect.  I try to do the chipping but usually end up overdoing it.  It's probably because I'm not using acrylic paints or too much chipping fluid.  Are you using acrylic paints or doing another chipping method?  Sorry if you already explained this.

Bryan

Thanks guys for your kind words! really appreciate it!

I will try to answer Roger and Bryan's question regarding chipping.

I was working with  AMMO chipping fluids with MRP and Mr. Color paints but used to have same issues with it as Bryan describes above. Thin layer doesn't work and thick layer of the fluid turned into small drops which when scratched down with brush or toothpick left rounded scratches.

I will try hair spray method in future but these days I prefer to work as efficient as I can.

That's why I use maskol (Mr. Masking Sol Neo specifically). Issue is that you don't have enough control over the size of scratches,but on the other hand you can mask many parts and let dry the paint on it overnight and you don't have to work fast as with the chipping fluids. I think that the key is to apply realli tine amount of the maskol.

Here is simple instruction how I did scratches on engine nacelles.

MRP black surfacer

i-GpMGWqT.jpg

MRP Duralaluminium applied

i-X8wVtk3.jpg

Masking sol applied with small pieces of sponge

i-GCsngXr.jpg

i-K4dn4xv.jpg

paint (Mr. Hobby C55) applied

i-FgZk3jv.jpg

shading with lighter shade of base paint

i-n6GwC84.jpg

masking sol scratched down with toothpick and cleaned with tack-it adhesive (the best stuff to remove maskol)

i-6wWCdWt.jpg

i-n5CFfdx.jpg

final layer of gloss varnish, MIG dark wash applied and finished with MRP semimatt finished

i-B2Vrmcz.jpg

HTH

jan

Edited by Jan_G

small progress on Toryu

looks like I did something wrong when gluing fuselage hlaves together because instrument panel cover will need to sand a little

i-vnnpvnx.jpg

i-tHRqTbB.jpg

first thing that I really don't like on this kit is the fuselage upper part. I was trying to find out why guys at ZM decided to mold small windows as individual inserts instead of make the whole part out of clear plastic, especially with so many useless clear parts

i-7WTDVpM.jpg

i-whxbKtN.jpg

some parts already painted with Kawasaki Dark green (Mr. Color C130)i-JPJKM4C.jpg

i-BFgw54p.jpg

Thanks for looking

jan

Edited by Jan_G

i-m9pCHPx.jpg

some progress on Toryu

what I really like that landing gear consist out of few parts only, which helps to keep geometry and add strength to it

and fit of it is great :D

I wasn't sure about the color because most of good pics of landing gear shows that it was in bare metal instead of khaki as stated in instructions

but based on this pic which depicts this specific airframe I'm almost sure that it was left unpainted

i-jNJ6qXX.jpg

i-JSPTdjm.jpg

i-pNxGDwC.jpg

i-8dDGhqt.jpg

engine nacelles

i-JKfxDqR.jpg

i-m8Znb39.jpg

i-NQDGw3d.jpg

i-zb88Lg4.jpg

and the seat ;)

i-3MSFXXP.jpg

thanks for looking