Ryan

1/32 B-29?

19 minutes ago, Tony T said:

As for Jennings' only 0.000000001% of the population being interested in the 1/32 Superfortress, that figure works out to less than one person in the entire world. I think his market research is out by several orders of magnitude.

Maybe Jennings is a bit conservative with his math but seriously, how many people would be up for a kit that is probably well into 4 figures (USD) and would take up a good portion of a room to display?  I know we'll get multiple posts here from folks stating they would absolutely buy this monster but I hardly think LSP is represntive of the overall modeling world.  I just can't see anyone except possibly a niche, limited run outfit even thinking about an endevour like this.  The costs to design and produce a kit like this would be massive, that's a huge risk for most modeling manufacturers.  

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Maybe Jennings is a bit conservative with his math but seriously, how many people would be up for a kit that is probably well into 4 figures (USD) and would take up a good portion of a room to display?  I know we'll get multiple posts here from folks stating they would absolutely buy this monster but I hardly think LSP is represntive of the overall modeling world.  I just can't see anyone except possibly a niche, limited run outfit even thinking about an endevour like this.  The costs to design and produce a kit like this would be massive, that's a huge risk for most modeling manufacturers.  

The market is probably 200 for an £800 kit from a firm like HpH. I'm not one of the prospective buyers. 

If Hobby Boss did a £200 very basic kit the market would quite probably be an order of magnitude higher: 2,000. 

If you like them big I would recommend going to the Superfortress hangar at the NEAM at Windsor Locks. There's a 1/24th scale scratchbuilt B-29 in a display case. Quite impressive.

Personally, I'm starting to look at Billings wooden boats and smaller scale plastic aircraft. Maybe it's age, but I'm finding glueing very large bits of plastic is quite tedious.

Tony 

5 minutes ago, Tony T said:

The market is probably 200 for an £800 kit from a firm like HpH. I'm not one of the prospective buyers. 

If Hobby Boss did a £200 very basic kit the market would quite probably be an order of magnitude higher: 2,000. 

If you like them big I would recommend going to the Superfortress hangar at the NEAM at Windsor Locks. There's a 1/24th scale scratchbuilt B-29 in a display case. Quite impressive.

Personally, I'm starting to look at Billings wooden boats and smaller scale plastic aircraft. Maybe it's age, but I'm finding glueing very large bits of plastic is quite tedious.

Tony 

Thanks for the reminder on NEAM Tony!   I keep telling myself to take a ride out there, it's really not that far of a drive and now that the awesome Quonset Point, RI museum has shut down, there isn't anything around in New England.  

Funny how you are gravitating towards smaller kits, I've found that over the years, I'm going with 32nd kits pretty much exclusively.   I just like being able to work on something without squinting.

John

Yes, NEAM used to be a regular stop for me after landing at Hartford and staying overnight at a nearby motel, en route to Amherst. 

I think the attraction of small scale is mostly hand painting but, yes, the latest are all tweezers and touch'n'flow. The secret is not to start drinking before 3pm. (Just kidding - but 5pm is better.) 

The biggest kit on my shopping list is the Tanmodel 1/32 Su-33 Sea Flanker. I'm bracing myself in anticipation of a high price, and hoping they will sell the canopy parts as a separate set to fix up the Trumpeter Su-27 Flanker B. In fact, they could release that first to bring in some money. 

Tony 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Tony T said:

The secret is not to start drinking before 3pm. (Just kidding - but 5pm is better.) 

Dooh!!!  I've apparently violated that secret rule, since I'm enjoying a nice coffee stout while watching some football.  

Cheers!

Edited by John1

59 minutes ago, Tony T said:

The biggest kit on my shopping list is the Tanmodel 1/32 Su-33 Sea Flanker. I'm bracing myself in anticipation of a high price, and hoping they will sell the canopy parts as a separate set to fix up the Trumpeter Su-27 Flanker B. In fact, they could release that first to bring in some money. 

Tony 

yes yes yes, awesome idea.

I would LOVE a 1/32 B-29 (done right,  meaning ACCURATE)!  I also don't understand the idea that a finished model MUST reside in a "display case".  I have seen several modelers hand their large planes from a hook in the wall, nose first. There is also the option of displaying them from the ceiling, hanging from a hook.  I have several 1/32 4-engine bombers in my stash and intend on hanging them, nose first on the wall in my office.  A display case shouldn't dictate whether or not I can get a model that I want.  And WHEN they release a 1/32 B-52, I will definitely get one and hand it from the wall/ceiling.  Just sayin'.

Take Care,

Jim  

We have a 1/22nd BUFF here at the SAC museum.

I'm not sure how much it would end up weighing, but even with its swept wing it's wingspan is over 65". That's gonna need some serious re-enforcement.

33 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Now if someone competent were to do a 1:32 Hustler,...

My ALL time favorite bomber!

Regardless of who makes it nor the medium it's in, I will be getting a 32nd B-58.

8 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Regardless of who makes it nor the medium it's in, I will be getting a 32nd B-58.

OH YES!!!!

Barry

28 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Me too Brian!........just how big would a 1/32 Hustler be?

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Seems like a lot of the "interest" in a 1/32 B-29 is just to say you have it, not to actually build it and display it. The amount of space that would be needed to display it eludes probably 95% of us, and the cost would put it out of reach for most.  But in an arms race, people just want to say they have it.  Like the giant Lancaster/B-24/B-17 kits.  Fraction of the ones that are sold ever get built, the rest gather dust as trophies.

Matt 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

K2, When I say stigma, I mean perhaps more from the Japanese perspective. I get your point about pearl, but again, I think they are apples ....and radishes in comparison. In my mind, one is a battle, albeit a significant one, and the other tied irrevocably to  two events that altered history. Altered as in :ushered in a new age that cannot be gone back from.

perhaps the more valid point is sheer size. My display case is sized to fit the B-25. I'll get a B-25, Felixstowe, and some other similar planes in there. I do not have the -17, 24, or Lanc, and I like the idea of the B-29, but it is just too big for me.  Everyone has their own take, but the size alone is a diminishing return.

Apples and radishes indeed! 

That said, the 1/32 vacform/ scatchbuild B29 above is phenomenal. Just getting it in the photos must have taken work!

Edited by Pup7309