1/32 B-29?

Ryan

Well, I will hope it's NOT a certain mainland China based modeling company based on what I've seen of their recent efforts.  If it's done at all, I hope it'll be done by another reputable Chinese manufacturer who produces some very nice model aircraft in 1/32.

Having said that, a model with a wingspan of  ~53 inches (1.34 meters) and a length of ~37 inches (0.943 meters) will strain even those with large display area.  It'll be huge...but not as big as a 1/32 B-52. :wicked:

Paint schemes would be somewhat limited but the marking options for WII and Korea are wide open.  Huge potential for decals in both source information, choices and sheer size.

I'd pay $350-$400 IF it were done with all the attention to detail that it requires, i.e., flat panel glass in the nose of the aircraft instead of rounded panels like the 1/48 Mongoram has.

Edited by Juggernut
Added content

I am one who is fond of the idea of a B-29, done to the nines; natural metal, interior bits, and some classic nose art. That said, I'd also like to see an FW-200, PBY, Sunderland, and a G4m betty in an I/M kit. An Emily, would be phenomenal. I do not however think they would be good candidates for kits as the ROI would be less than expected.  Same with the B-29. just not enough modelers would buy it; more would be in "Like " with the idea.

just a gut feeling.

I think the market for both the B-29 and the G4M would be viable, especially the G4M in Japan but I have no way of knowing for sure.  I don't think a B-29, especially a Silverplate edition, would be that popular in Japan but again, I don't know that with any degree of certainty.   There's so much spectacular nose art on these aircraft that it's just a shame we don't have one in 1/32 yet.  The decal companies could churn out loads of options....  Maybe someday we will and I'll have to put in the stash with the 1/16 Trumpeter German tanks I have which are huge in and of themselves.

Last April, I spent a couple days at the Udvar-Hazey NASM complex and took a butt-load of photos of Enola Gay.  I discovered details that I had never known before and that are either missing or just wrong on the Monogram 1/48 kit... For example, the Curtiss props on Silverplate aircraft have cuffs which while represented on the Monogram kit, are shaped incorrectly (but fixable with a file and/or some sandpaper).

Edited by Juggernut

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

We would have to start finishing with automotive spray guns at some point!

"Hi Alclad, I'll take a quart of your best NMF please!"

Ryan

I know, right?

And don't forget about the Alclad primer and the varying shades of aluminum you'll need; not to mention the silver-grey anodized section down the middle of each wing and across the top of the fuselage.

Edited by Juggernut

I think the secret to displaying these types of large models is a triangle shaped cabinet built into a corner.

Still one big cabinet but not as intrusive as a huge glass box.

Ryan

1 minute ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Nope.  But I've been involved with new kit development in this business for going on 35 years now.  The "most wanted" kits more often than not turn into major duds for the manufacturers.  How many Trumpeter 1/48 RA-5Cs have you seen built?   

If you think 1/32 B-29s or Bettys would be "popular" in Japan, you don't know very much about Japan.  

And you don't read very well do you....

1 minute ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Nope.  But I've been involved with new kit development in this business for going on 35 years now.  The "most wanted" kits more often than not turn into major duds for the manufacturers.  How many Trumpeter 1/48 RA-5Cs have you seen built?   

If you think 1/32 B-29s or Bettys would be "popular" in Japan, you don't know very much about Japan.  

They don't have to be built Jennings, just bought. :)

Ryan