Hasegawa Bf 109F-2 1/32

Mustang JBB

I started this build last year and tried to keep up with photos as I knew I would eventually start a build thread.  Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I think I am ready to post.

She is being built OOB except for seat belts and a few decal placard in the cockpit.  First pictures of the cockpit were taken before I realized Simple Green cleaner and Vallejo Aire clear flat don't like each other.  The clear coat frosted in reaction to the Simple Green and the RLM Gray looks a bit lighter now.  Generally, the cockpit still looks good, but I added some heavier washes and weathering to help the overall "look". 

Some of you with keen eyes will catch that I missed cutting out the wheel wells where needed for an F-2.  The outer part of the round wheel hole should have corners.  By the time I noticed this on the instructions, I had progressed on the build enough to not try to fix it, and risk making a big mess in the process.  

IMG_3322_zpsvjddqhpz.jpg

IMG_3321_zpshi7xfts7.jpg

IMG_3317_zpskwvffz1q.jpg

IMG_3314_zpsqza4wznh.jpg

The Instrument panel was painted with white primer then Tamiya Gray and black.  I very carefull scraped away the black from the raised instrument detail to reveal the underlying white primer

IMG_3311_zpsq0fruosp.jpg

Since this plane will have some interesting mottling and camo, I decided to try a new approach (for me) to getting panel variation.  Normally I will use pre-shading, fading, and post shading, but this time I thought I would see how this approach goes.  The idea being to give each panel and underlying tone to make it look slightly diferent than the one next to it, once done with painting.  A slight twist on the armor builders use of tonal variation techniques.  The black and white are MRP paints over gray Mr. Surfacer 1000.

IMG_4346_zpsdnkik4vg.jpg

IMG_4345_zps9sl4btep.jpg

All my pics are from an iPhone so I apologize for the poor quality.  Here is the bottom after painting the MRP RLM 76 over the tonal panels.  This is the first pass to get it close to what I want.  It looks subtle in these pics, but was much more obvious to the naked eye.  I have since several more very thinned out layers to make the effect even more subtle.  Because of the number panels on the wings and the way the ones under the fuselage were laid out, I did have to do some pre shading.  This has been toned down as well.  The way it looks now does not show up in the pics well, so I decided to post these to show the effect.  You can see that the rear of the fuselage still needs more paint at this point.

IMG_4404_zpsvvslz6lt.jpg

IMG_4347_zpsje7lbq1z.jpg

I have decided to try out the MRP line of acrylic lacquer paints.  I have mainly used Tamiya over the last few years, but they have always frustrated me by being delicate and easily damaged while handling the model.  Maybe it is just me being overly abusive with my models, but a problem none the less.  A buddy recommended lacquers, so I am giving this brand a try on the 109, and Gunze on the next model.  These are premixed right out of the bottle and spray very well.  However, adding some Mr. Leveling thinner makes it even better.  To spray the RLM 75 and 76, I thinned it 50/50 and it sprays like a dream through my Grex with a 0.2 mm tip and needle installed.  This is just the start.  There has been some tweaking and fixing since this photo as it has been a long time since I have tried to spry mottling and camo free hand.  Stiffness in my hands doesn't help either.

I am working out of town right now so it will be another week or so before I can get home and make some progress on this bird.  Once I get through the mottling, the rest of the paint job shoud go quickly.  All remaining parts are prepped and cleaned up, some are painted as well.  So the model should get wrapped up soon.

IMG_4492_zpsk3lfozm6.jpg

Edited by Mustang JBB

21 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Nice M , have you decided what scheme you're shootin' for ?

:popcorn:

The kit box art... Hauptman Hans I think.  I don't have the kit with me as I am on the road.  I dug through my decals box for a cool scheme for and F-2 and found one I liked on a Eagle Strike set.  Turns out it was the very same as the box art.  Better decals of course.

17 hours ago, Fvdm said:

Looks nice. Good luck with the mottling.

Ferry

Thanks.  It has been a learning(or re-learning process).  I have made a few boo boos, and had to sand some mistakes out and/or repaint.  Just a few things to fix on the motlling when I get home, then I will get after the wings, yellow nose and black wing roots.  Looking forward to actually finishing a model.  This will be the first one in over a year.  Working away from home slows the process and is rough on the attention span.  I probably have 6 or so in the works.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:41 PM, MikeMaben said:

This one ?

hsg08210.png

Yup.  That's the one.  It is interesting to note that the box art, kit instructions, and after market decal instructions all vary on how the mottling is represented.  I am going with the pastern and density of the box art.  Looks nice.

• 3 weeks later...

A small update on my painting progress.  Ben a few mistakes here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed.  Some how I managed to paint a nice and even scallop effect into the upper camo on the right side of the fuselage. This will be eliminated.

IMG_4504_zpstin6kmms.jpg

IMG_4503_zpsx49e9fsf.jpg

IMG_4502_zpsnw7sawvb.jpg