Italian Stallion!... Teutonized!! Finished!

Gazzas

With apologies to Mr. Stallone I present my first and most likely last attempt at the Italian smoke ring camoflage.

The subject is Hasegawa's venerable Macchi MC.205 Serie I kit in 1/48 scale.  However, the barrels and barrel sleeves are also present in the kit, enabling me to make a beefier looking subject.

kIOCma.jpg

I had a very difficult time with the smoke rings and dry tip.  I started using some AK Interactive paints.  I couldn't even finish half a smoke ring before the dry tip had me cursing in fury.

1JVZgq.jpg

Then I switched to some hand mixed acrylic paint from the tubes.  Two shades of green, mixed with a bit of orange to reach an OD shade...  if you're curious.  It worked better for a while, but eventually my patience began to wear thin as I still had a lot of stoppages from dry tip.

9NdYeG.jpg

I'm hoping that weathering and effects will make up for some of my slop.  I perhaps should have done it over 2 sittings instead of one 2-hour session...  but I've already got 2 kits drying, one with weathering and one with cement...  So I had to do something with my time.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Hi everyone,

The kit was missing some decals when I got it.  So, I dug into my decal stash and made it into a machine temporarily belonging to II JG 77.  White 17 of JG 77 has been modelled by plenty of others, so I decided on a fictitious machine possibly flown by the CO.  I used my Silohuette cameo to make the JG 77 Heart insignia.  They didn;t come out perfectly, and the software didn't want to make the upper lobes of the heart.  So, I finished them by hand.

99uqZu.jpg

l4LrSg.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Thank You, Dennis!

Just a small update since I have to let it dry...  I just applied three filter colors....

Before that I applied an Eduard Propeller spiral for an FW 190 on the Macchi propeller hub.  I'm pretty dubious about the shade of blue which made it great for this fictional build.

buo6Po.jpg

lqcaLF.jpg

U5wwel.jpg

For filters I used a white one...  which you can see pretty easily, a brown zone, and a blue zone.  All experimental, of course.  Next will be a sludge wash.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Hi Everyone,

Not everything went as planned and my sludge wash ruined everything.  Most likely my fault as I had done some oil filtering before the wash and every brush stroke in the oils shows.  The white areas in particular are heavily stained.  The photos will illustrate:

AHJnIf.jpg

T6UfyJ.jpg

y6qJF1.jpg

9Qkv7z.jpg

I thought about not finishing it, but as I was so close, I put a few hours into it this afternoon to get her done.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

5 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

This is one Italian plane that I do like. Hat's off to you for taking this one on Gaz. Tough camo pattern and it looks like you pulled it off well to me bud.

Thank you, Joe!  I definitely is a cool looking plane.

1 hour ago, Wolf Buddee said:

I guess "ruined" is highly subjective Gaz. Good on you for pushing ahead and gettin' 'er done 'cause she looks wonderful.

:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Wolf

I appreciate it, Wolf!

Gaz