P-47D Markings

crobinsonh

I hope someone can help here - I saw a photo of a completed P-47 Thunderbolt with a large cartoon wolf painted on the side. I cannot for the life of me remember where I saw this, what squadron this would be and whether those markings exist in 1/32nd or 1/24th. Any help will be gratefully received as it is driving me mad :-(

I should also add that, while the EagleCals decals are gorgeous, they do not fit the model correctly.  Whether anyone cares about such things is an individual choice. The WHOOOOOOOOO is too large a faunt to begin with. I used them so I know. I have the Montex set but haven’t rebuilt the model with them, but checking against extant photos of the aircraft (which are in the EagleCals set) they appear to be sized/proportioned correctly so that the stunning nose art will look proper. The wolf head in the EagleCals set is much nicer though. If you want details with images of the decals applied and notations, PM me.

The decals in the Eduard boxing are printed by Cartograf, but I don’t know who did the artwork.

Edited by TBC

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Ii was thinking of using this same message thread:

I am looking for (1/32) Hairless Joe 42-26641 Col David Schilling or Ole **** III 26-28382 Capt Donovan Smith. Would like to make blue Jug. 

Thank you for your help in advance.

1 hour ago, ykak said:

Hi,

Ii was thinking of using this same message thread:

I am looking for (1/32) Hairless Joe 42-26641 Col David Schilling or Ole **** III 26-28382 Capt Donovan Smith. Would like to make blue Jug. 

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hairless Joe Decals

Ole **** III

Not sure what you mean by a "blue" jug but if you're referring to the 63rd FS, 56th FG's P-47M's, neither one of the above sets of markings is appropriate for said P-47M.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, Juggernut said:

Hairless Joe Decals

Ole **** III

Not sure what you mean by a "blue" jug but if you're referring to the 63rd FS, 56th FG's P-47M's, neither one of the above sets of markings is appropriate for said P-47M.

Thank you from your feedback Juggernaut, 

based on the Aces of the Mighty Eight (Scutts, Stanaway, Ospray, 2002)  page 115 42-26641 is said to be D-25 Dec 1944 and on page 117 42-28383 is said to be D-26, June 1944.

rgds yrjo