Focke-Wulf 44D "Stieglitz"

mozart

14 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great stuff Max!   Ive got to get to building one of my many SW kits.

You're a lucky man Brian, if they're as much fun as this one, and I'm sure they are, you'll really enjoy them.  I now fancy some of the inter-war years British aircraft that they do and perhaps EVEN a Stearman!

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Ive got their Stearman, Sea Gladdie, He-51B, P-6E and had their Cr.32 before selling it off.   You are right Max, looking at them, they are really well designed and look extraordinary in the box. 

I'm fancying the Hawker trilogy of Hart, Fury and Demon but I see some are out of stock on the SW website, have to keep my eyes peeled! :unsure:

Edited by mozart

Trepidation......will it fit!?

65b1gr.jpg
OjgUCH.jpg
4PbLGZ.jpg
UhmbRw.jpg

Well, yes....but it was very tight!  With so many parts to fit together in what will be a fairly narrow space I guess the build-up of tolerances can be critical.  After dry-fitting I sanded the outer faces of the framework to a flatter profile which eased the situation, then the two head rests were a very snug fit so they were trimmed too.  The end result is pretty satisfying - inevitably there is some sanding/cleaning up to do but I'm rather happy with progress to date:

EY1Brx.jpg
Fxqaja.jpg
g7GyBM.jpg

These 7 little items had me puzzled when initially identifying/sorting bits, 7 cylinders so I thought they were engine related:

0ekYiv.jpg

But no!  Only 4 are required, they are in fact vents on the engine cowling:

uJ5yQi.jpg

Q5yGJr.jpg

hHRv9A.jpg

I've also sorted the empennage.  There are some reasonable locating holes for the pins to mate with, but care still needs to be taken to get everything square and level:

5UD495.jpg

kMZYBv.jpg

12 hours ago, Shawn M said:

good work, looks like a nice kit

Thank you Shawn, yes it is a good kit and generally soraking the resin casting is very crisp and accurate which helps to make life easier.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

Nice work, Bro!

Cherers "mate", think I might be a bit too old to be your Bro!!! :) 

That closed up fuse looks excellent Max

"Bro" is its own culture here in the states!   Its everything from noun, to an adjective, to a verb.  You just have to make sure you have your tank-top, shades and beer (oh and be doing something crazy like biting a hole in a beer can to chug it).

6 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

That closed up fuse looks excellent Max

"Bro" is its own culture here in the states!   Its everything from noun, to an adjective, to a verb.  You just have to make sure you have your tank-top, shades and beer (oh and be doing something crazy like biting a hole in a beer can to chug it).

Well yes, there's the geographical and generational thing Brian; to my knowledge (which I must admit in terms of modern culture is antediluvian) "bro" is used by "hip young dudes" (I believe is the phrase) who are usually black.  I am none of those things!! :wacko:

Firstly the good news, I found some really rather good wartime photos of Fw44s last night whilst browsing:

xbOuYe.jpg
QS5o8O.jpg

Then the slightly frustrating news!  I thought this afternoon would be a straightforward job of sticking the goldfinches' wings on, but first I thought I'd check the interplane struts, drill for rigging and so on.  The instructions include a little (allegedly) 1/32 scale sketch of the angles of the struts relative to the wings.....and that's all.

Xwoxpy.jpg

Well trying to figure out which strut was which led to confusion because the actual strut lengths are different to the "scale" drawing with the middle (vertical) strut being particularly suspicious:

0KFMCr.jpg

: this where the first figure is the drawing length and the second the actual.  The two outer struts have been cast with some quite stiff wire running through them, and on the actual aircraft the strut doesn't "bed" into the wing surface:

T21jnr.png
RFjB94.png
DXEaBd.jpg

but at the moment I can't see how this is all going to fit properly.  We'll see.  Anyway, the wings are on, after all that hoo-hah!

ZkZdI9.jpg