Focke-Wulf 44D "Stieglitz"

mozart

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice start Max, I realy hate building and painting engines and always leave as long as I can before working on them!

Regards. Andy

As you've probably guessed Andy from my G4 and this one, I love building and detailing engines!! 

A little bit of work on the engine, I found the supplied resin pushrods very difficult to fit and thought they were slightly over scale so decided to go down the lead wire route.  I drilled two small holes in the "sump" in front of each cylinder and CA'd the wire into each before cutting to length to fit underneath the rocker covers.  One or two need a bit of cosmetic treatment to take a slight bend out, but I'm fairly happy with the results.

MrwmEa.jpg
eRfj0L.jpg

I also did the oil feeds on the back of the cylinders in 0.7mm lead wire instead of resin, I don't think much of this will be seen though:
VVscbz.jpg

I've spent the afternoon separating the fuselage framework from their casting blocks, delicate work to avoid fracturing the brittle resin, and then working out where fits to where.  These are the side structures and base ones plus the plywood cockpit floors and petrol tank: 

RcqVey.jpg

A lick of paint on the frames then the instructor's (rear) and pupil"s (for'd) throttle controls added:

Mm11y7.jpg

Whilst I'm waiting for the CA to solidly set on that lot I had a quick look at the wings and ailerons.  

JNL7xW.jpg

Very precise casting meant very little clean up was necessary and the ailerons, especially the upper wing ones, fit so snugly you could almost get away with not having to glue them.  More tomorrow I hope, but this really is a great little kit.  The Stockholm IPMS site has been an enormous help: https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/stuff_eng_detail_fw44.htm

The little goldfinch is coming along quite nicely, I'm working steadily on the cockpit areas using rather limited reference material but improvising where there is none!

L4WpvB.jpg

The dials on the IP are represented by a thin plastic film, put a couple of blobs of white paint on the reverse and the dials really spring out.
TYcikr.jpg

Edited by mozart

A bit more progress with the internals:

lRvqy7.jpg

I couldn't imagine that a 1930s designed trainer would sport the full fighter-type of seat belt, I thought something more akin to the simple Sutton-type of the British Tiger Moth, so I made my own version from tape and lead foil:

DPxJhX.jpg

The floor's taking shape - from above:

kSgknt.jpg

and below:
GhWdYc.jpg

Well it's been a rather grey and mucky day outside, but a very productive one in the model room:

yiBEGL.jpg
RvYS38.jpg
Lquegj.jpg

I've got some fuel line connections to make tomorrow between the fuel pump and the tank, the IPs (now complete) and seats to fit, followed by the top framework and then I can probably think about closing her up, though there's always the thought about not counting my chickens before they're hatched!! 

Thanks for your continued interest Alain, Gaz and Andy, and espcially for those helpful photos Alain, I can put a little extra detail in. It's my first SW kit too, and I'm really impressed with the quality of it (it seems this is quite an early kit and later ones are even better) and the thought that has gone into making it fit together well. The least satisfactory aspect so far are the instructions, you need quite a lot of imagination at times to interpret what the illustrations mean, though these too have improved subsequently. More later I hope.  

Good job I didn't count my chickens.......

All's set out and looking OK:

346e4A.jpg

so I thought let's put it together, starting with getting the seats in place.  They are held by a rod which goes through the frame, the brake lever, the seat base (going under the control column linkage between the front and rear cockpits) then through other side of the frame....so not a lot to align!!

HoHbnR.jpg

but the rods supplied were too short so I used some 1mm plastic rod:

m42QoO.jpg

the rear seat was easier than the front:

e7xGeQ.jpg

but after a few tense moments it all fitted....phew!

wcSMR7.jpg

So far, so good.  Just the front block which secures the few pupils' instruments, the headrests and instructors' IP to fit:

RaDhUM.jpg
Rc5xBw.jpg

but will the two fuselage halves close up........:whistle:

Edited by mozart