Focke-Wulf 44D "Stieglitz"

mozart

The two windshields are delicately cast resin, very thin and fragile, which is why I guess a spare is provided:

iL0jET.jpg

With care I masked and fitted them, they really are a very precise fit:

OLKtlY.jpg

Meanwhile, I've started painting the prop:

vKtzek.jpg

Edited by mozart

The attachment points for the rigging have been drilled and 1/32 turnbuckles fitted.  I'm using .005 thread which I think is probably too thin in scale terms but normal EZ line won't thread "EZily" through the small hole in the turnbuckle a first time, let alone the second pass before securing with CA.

5L7tmA.jpg

Tomorrow's weather isn't looking good enough for a golf game, so I may have the whole day to try to get the top wing fitted and rigging lines tightened.

Max,

That is some very fine thread!  I used to use EZ line until I noticed the twists showed in photos...  And it wasn't like I would go back and fix them.  So, I went to monofilament.

Keep up the great work!

Gaz

Wow, good stuff Max!  I love the look so far.

As to rigging I found that the Uschi rigging works really well, and the profile is significantly less inconsistent than EZ Line.

Standard Uschi rigging seems to work well, as their "fine"  and especially their "super fine" are way too thin for 32nd IMHO.

Also, I found when using any of the Uschi, EZ Line and even regular thread, it really helps to dip the very end of the thread in super thin CA. It helps to thread through small eyelets, and it just gets cut off with excess after you tie off the line.

• 8 months later...

My lovely little Goldfinch has been on the back-burner for too long, mainly because I wasn't happy, as I suspected above, that the rigging line applied was too thin, but I was reluctant (read scared) to cut it all off and start again!  But I currently have four other Silver Wing biplanes to build, with "others" yet to come, so fudging and procrastination was no longer an option.........courage mon brave!

So yesterday I cut off all my carefully positioned turnbuckles and thread, cleaned up the areas as best I could and re-drilled holes for Prym elastic and basically, got on with it. 

A3njpl.jpg

BPsBIg.jpg
Qey4JY.jpg

As can be seen, the Prym is white, but I have some screen printing ink which experiments have shown can be used to paint it black.  It should then look more like this:

PdyrMe.png

Port side to do next......:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Lothar said:

Glad you returned to this because your work looks indeed excellent, looking

forward to more!!

Lothar

Thanks Lothar, it’s such a lovely characterful aeroplane and it’s been sitting on the shelf for long enough. 

10 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very well done rigging Max! Looks to scale really!

Alain

Yes Alain, I’m not only much happier with the scale appearance but also the (relative) ease of doing the rigging. I finished the port side this afternoon so my next job is the get the fabric paints out. 

Nice Max!   If you are ever looking for another way to color Prym, I have had EXCELLENT luck using fabric dye pens. Works a treat, and dont need any brushes or cleanup!  I normally (read almost always) use the fabric dye pens on the Prym knitting in thread prior to rigging. Works grand, and once you are done rigging, no need to go back and try to color it while on the model. 

71AYxfViQRL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks Brian, that was my first thought actually, but then my wife said “why not try fabric printing paint”, it worked and she already has several pots, so job done. I also liked the idea of rigging with a white thread showing up well against the dark (RLM70) green, and since the paint is water-based the clean up is simply a rinse under a cold tap! Simples!! :coolio:

• 2 weeks later...

The Stieglitz is on the bench at the moment and coming along well, in fact the pilot and his mechanic are rather impatient to get the whole thing off the ground!  It never fails to surprise me, when you're mentally ticking a build off as nearly complete, just how long those "nearly" bits take.....must make a list in future! :):wacko:

4wmyEF.jpg
7YFq6v.jpg

That's a terrific build so far, once finished she will certainly be showstopper. As for your

"nearly" finished statement it's a fact, the closer you think you'll get to the end the more

you discover which needs to be done.

Lothar