Focke-Wulf 44D "Stieglitz"

mozart

On 1/20/2019 at 7:25 PM, monthebiff said:

Thats some serious progress in the last few days Max, looking good, extremly clean build so far.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy, I'm doing most of the painting now before I grit my teeth with the interplane and cabane struts.....did I say a simple build at thread-start?

tCQZsz.png 

Edited by mozart

30 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Ah, the Joy's of being able to cut your own schemes!

Its changed the game IMHO.

It certainly has Brian, I used to be continually searching for sheets of decals with letters of the right size and style, not to mention colour for the more esoteric builds that I do, in fact they're all personalised one way or another.  I spent quite a long time this morning get the right "S" for the Stieglitz but heavens knows how I would have done it without the Silhouette!

5 minutes ago, airscale said:

very cool Max - what an intriguing little aircraft..

looks like you are really enjoying the build and the results are amazing :)

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'd love to fly one in comparison to a Tiger Moth....the Stieglitz being purposely designed as a trainer. I am enjoying it enormously, it's a bit of light(ish) relief before I pick up the Anson again, which in my planning may be having more and more brasswork incorporated if my soldering skills permit! 

On 1/23/2019 at 7:52 AM, Gazzas said:

I took a look at your markings, and think they look really nice.  What Font did you use for the fuselage codes?

Gaz

They're a bit of a mixture I'm afraid Gaz!  The D, L and T are pretty much from a set that I drew up on the Silhouette that conform to the RAF wartime letters, rather square in style, as is the RAF "S" but of course the S on Peter's Stieglitz is more curvy so I went through a lot of the font styles available to get the best match.....but I can't remember which it was!!!  I know it's a very common one, tempted to say Arial but I'm not too sure.  I've just downloaded the Designer edition onto the Silhouette and it's messed up my settings and I haven't had time to check yet if I can determine which font it was, sorry!  I painted all the markings yesterday, came out well except for the swastika, I need to add a white outline to it.  Photos later.

Edited by mozart

Progress, slow and steady.  Having read several biplane builds, especially with Silver Wing kits, it seems fitting the cabane struts first is the way to go.  I made a little "jig" out of plastic card to get the fixing points as accurate as possible based on the location points on the underside of the top wing.

IfFRCz.jpg
wJ9P5s.jpg
Ne0lYJ.jpg

Doors on:
RJiHnq.jpg

Testing fitting the top wing, looks ok:
FNDI6G.jpg

9 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Yay!  Top wing is up!  Looks great!

Up, but not fixed Gaz.  This is one of those situations where you have to consider the remainder of the build before committing to glue because of later limited access; drilling the points for rigging, putting in the rigging fixings where needed, putting in the front windshield and the fuel indicator etc. etc..  Reminds me of building a converted Bf110G4!! :frantic:  The rigging diagram in the instructions is not very clear so I've also been studying lots of photographs to determine what's what and where.