Focke-Wulf 44D "Stieglitz"

mozart

I may come to regret this, but after the intensity of finishing my AIMS conversion Bf110G4 in the "In the Pale Moonlight GB", I feel that I need a more "simple" build to get my head straight and before getting involved in the Multi-engined GB with my Anson. I bought this kit early last year and have been itching to build it ever since:

rxnLjX.jpg

The Fw44 Stieglitz (goldfinch) was one of the main training aircraft for the Luftwaffe in the 30s and 40s and was flown by Peter Spoden, a former Nachtjager and gentleman who I've been privileged to meet:

kgwkeB.jpg

I14HkL.jpg

It's the first full resin kit that I've built, so bit of a learning curve there, but it will be OOB apart from a few bits of wire in the cockpit.  It comes with all the bits in plastic bags:

4jf5b2.jpg

packed by Celine!

b01QKI.jpg

but as Geoff Coughlin noted in one of his reviews of a SW kit in Scale Modelling Now, the bits are randomly packaged.  The instructions are a series of drawings:

arKx0D.jpg

6QDhh5.jpg

mzkKtw.jpg

but there are no identifying numbers or sprues to give you a clue about what is what and where it goes.  So my first evening was spent emptying everything out onto a table and basically trying to identify bits and sorting them into bags:

ozL0hy.jpg

It was a worthwhile exercise because I feel that I've got a bit of a handle on what's going to be needed.  

s7RiP2.jpg

No decals provided but masks, which I prefer anyway so that's a plus.  I hope to start the build very shortly.

This is a rather good photograph, very clear around the engine, which is where I'm going to start!

85j20f.png

Edited by mozart

15 minutes ago, Daniel460 said:

I like it Max! I don't know about a simple build with all those parts and rigging though. :D

Dan

The number of parts don't frighten me Dan, but the b****y rigging does! :huh:

5 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Great project Max! Looks like a good kit.

Alain

It's incredibly detailed Alain, means I don't have to worry about doing too much else to it....I hope. :rolleyes:

Managed some time this afternoon to make a tentative start on the Stieglitz.  The first, perhaps continuing lesson, is to take nothing for granted and to check the identity of the parts carefully and their exact position, as evidenced by the exhaust pipes coming out of the cylinders.  It wasn't until I started cutting them off their individual casting blocks that I realised there were two slightly different types, which then made the cryptic diagram in the instructions a bit clearer (if I'm right!):

cFZJNM.jpg

The main bits of the engine assembly:
lTKfbm.jpg

Sprayed the collecting ring (MRP anodised aluminium and a light dust of copper) then assembled the engine and sprayed with MRP white aluminium followed by a coating of MRP exhaust soot over the cylinders:
sOnFBQ.jpg

Three important reference photos:

5qziju.jpg
tubL5W.jpg
L8UjdM.jpg

Edited by mozart