1/32 Gotha G.I Scratch Build

guitarlute101

Well, Mark, we all owe you a big thanks for taking the bullet so that we can have an injection-molded one! Maybe if you hurry you can get it done before it comes out! You are doing such a good job with it I am glad you are planning on finishing it.  :clap2:  

Thanks Ray and Kevin.

I had started out building the Gotha in 1/48...….

KfChvD.jpg

But when I saw the GB announced I decided to build it in 1/32. I have not posted much on the site but I have always received so much help from the members and staff I feel I owe my best effort contribution. I really value this site and forum!

I've been putting some thought into my build now and I think I'll be amending it a little.

I will definitely be building the WnW Gotha G.I, I am so impressed that they have released it for everyone to enjoy! Just so I don't have an overlapping build I will be changing mine slightly to model the 1st incarnation of the G.I called the "Friedel-Ursinus Type FU". This way I can have the Friedel and the G.I in my collection.

WnWs release of the Gotha G.I is perfect timing for the stage that I am at in my build as I can easily convert it to the FU without much modification at this point in my build. I am very pleased with how accurate I was able to make the center cockpit area in comparison to the WnW kit and instructions but the FU version had a few variations.

The FU had a different cockpit covering, engines, tail and wings than the G.I.

The cockpit covering was a simpler design and there were a few redesigns along the way.

One particular variation is the engines. The first version had the radiator in the engine nacelle and the nacelle was a little "boxy"

Rro1Dw.jpg

I'm going to go with the second version with exposed engines and Hazlet radiators so I can really detail them up.

amVWEw.jpg

Onward and upward!

Thanks so much for looking in and the encouragement!

Mark

Thanks everyone,

I've spent a few days looking at the Ursinus and am still not quite sure about how the control lines for the flying surfaces are arranged for it.

I think I will be putting the build in a short holding pattern for now with the hopes that Windsock will release a "Gotha at War" volume that has more pictures or even better, detailed scale drawings! If nothing pops up in that department soon then I'll just continue the build the best I can.

More soon,

Mark

Edited by guitarlute101

On 3/25/2019 at 2:07 PM, guitarlute101 said:

Thanks everyone,

I've spent a few days looking at the Ursinus and am still not quite sure about how the control lines for the flying surfaces are arranged for it.

I think I will be putting the build in a short holding pattern for now with the hopes that Windsock will release a "Gotha at War" volume that has more pictures or even better, detailed scale drawings! If nothing pops up in that department soon then I'll just continue the build the best I can.

More soon,

Mark

Don't forget to check out Wingnut Wings G.1 Instructions if you haven't, they are usually pretty thorough! Look forward to more progress!

Thanks everyone, I've picked up a few more items for the continuing build......

Merc. D.I engines from the Albatros B.II Early kit (I put the Hazlet Radiators in another bag for safekeeping) and Aviatik resin Gotha Wheels.....

8yzz1l.jpg

CiJppG.jpg

The Horizontal Tail has a different shape....

bgnGh1.jpg

And the rudder has control horns with the cable passing through the vertical fin....

LbFrSg.jpg

The aileron control cables for the Ursinus didn't run along the lower wing like the G.I, it looks like they ran along the top wing trailing edge with 2 control horn cables meeting at a single point at the trailing edge....

CiHXNe.jpg

GNqjwk.jpg

Notice how much shorter the lower wing is compared to the top wing.

Any experts out there know what color the UF is on the logo?

3bdvDk.jpg

I will keep on keepin' on..

Mark

This looks great, there seems to be just as much detective work as building work just to figure out where everything goes or what it looks like. I am enjoying your progress!