1/32 Gotha G.I Scratch Build

guitarlute101

• 3 weeks later...

"I should have an update on Sunday..."

JjyTkN.jpg

Ok, so it took a bit longer than I thought, :D The center section has been the most difficult part so far. I've relied on the picture documentation and have it pretty close.

I made the top part to be removable at first so I can paint and detail the interior before gluing everything together.....

p2RxDw.jpg

METl36.jpg

8TAqHI.jpg

buw1PQ.jpg

Ap9VlW.jpg

gPIYrM.jpg

So far so good, next, I'll finish up the cockpit area walls and seat area and probably move on to the tail.

Thanks so much for looking in, 

Mark  :thumbsup:

Thanks Kevin, Brian, Ray and Alain. I sincerely appreciate everyone taking time to look in and be encouraging.

Moving on to the tail today, looks pretty straight ahead. The most difficult part will probably be the alignment. The tail was integrated into the lower rear fuselage rather than just tacked onto the fuselage so I'll have to be very careful there.

Mark

I was able to finish up the majority of the tail area. As you can see in the period pictures, the tail and fins were plain with no ribbing. I'm assuming They were plywood covered structures from the looks of it.

vA12Pp.jpg

I made the horizontal tail and edged it in half round rod. I find that this gives the edge a nice profile rather than trying to eyeball it and hand sand it half round.

vJAdEj.jpg

I made hinges so that the tail and fins would be articulated.

cOkS3h.jpg

And here is the tail temporarily taped into place. You can see that distinctive tail fin shape the Gotha G.I was known for.

CeENTX.jpg

The tail area still needs some priming and finishing but I'm pretty happy with it at this point.

And here is a shot of the fuselage as of today. A lot of work and a lot of fun.

fwzSSq.jpg

Still some more work in the cockpit areas so more to come later.

Thanks for looking in,

Mark 

Thanks guys, I'm putting some thought into the wings now. Probably styrene over basswood core.

I put in some mail orders for materials to detail the cockpit areas, bezels, instrument faces, etc. so that will give me some time to do a little cleanup and fitting of the new parts while I wait for them to arrive.

More updates as soon as I can and I appreciate you looking in,

Mark