FINISHED: Eduard 1/32 P47D Thunderbolt “Dottie Mae”

Sir Spendalot

On 2/22/2019 at 9:22 PM, nmayhew said:

Lovely looking progress!

Thank you. Beginning to fret less and really enjoy the build :D

First decaling session tonight (the big ones). The decals seem quite thick but appear to be settling down well with an application of Micro Sol (they're Cartograf - so wouldn't expect anything else)

P47D-073.jpg

Just the stencils to do now.

Paul

Thanks Gents - couldn't agree more about the decals.

And now it’s on to the mucky stuff!

I finished off the decals, most of which settled down nicely – just a few that needed a slice with a sharp blade and a small bucket of Micro Sol. I then sprayed on another layer of the Vallejo metal varnish and started a bit of weathering with Flory’s dark wash.

P47D-074.jpg

P47D-075.jpg

P47D-076.jpg

P47D-077.jpg

A couple of pics showing the after on a couple of smaller pieces

P47D-078.jpg

P47D-079.jpg

And a comparison between a wing that hasn’t been floried…

P47D-080.jpg

…with a wing that has (hope you can see the difference - it's pretty subtle but it does bring out the panel lines)

P47D-081.jpg

And a final pic of Dottie from the side

P47D-082.jpg

Just have to finish of the weathering and it’s on to the final assembly!

Paul

I was looking through some old P-47 photos and noticed something you might want to add to your weathering. Just aft of the exhaust wastes gate are the inboard gear doors. The heat from the exhausts tended to burn off the yellow ZC paint and stain the inside of the gear door.

5 hours ago, wpierson said:

I was looking through some old P-47 photos and noticed something you might want to add to your weathering. Just aft of the exhaust wastes gate are the inboard gear doors. The heat from the exhausts tended to burn off the yellow ZC paint and stain the inside of the gear door.

Thanks Bill. I did notice a couple of photos (and the box art) where the staining had gone over the gear doors - so my plan now is to add staining but to work the basis that it's hiding any missing ZC paint :whistle:

If I may be so bold regarding the Alclad being grainy. Rule 1: Regardless of what you're painting the top coat is no better than what's under it.

Your problem started with the flat black undercoat - should be gloss. Keep in mind that a matt surface scatters light which give the flat result wheras a gloss bounces light in a straight line resulting in a reflection. So when you applied the Alclad it just conforms to the flat surface and it, in turn, scatters the light. I know it's too late now but Alclad Aqua Gloss does not kill the metallic appearance and adds some shine.

However, you might want to look into AK Xtreme Metal paints. They don't require any base coat, can be applied to any color base including bare plastic, come in a wide rage of aluminums and they're nowhere as fragile, fussy to apply or handle as Alclad. There are several reviews on YouTube and Flory did an extensive review here. 

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

If I may be so bold regarding the Alclad being grainy. Rule 1: Regardless of what you're painting the top coat is no better than what's under it.

Your problem started with the flat black undercoat - should be gloss. Keep in mind that a matt surface scatters light which give the flat result wheras a gloss bounces light in a straight line resulting in a reflection. So when you applied the Alclad it just conforms to the flat surface and it, in turn, scatters the light. I know it's too late now but Alclad Aqua Gloss does not kill the metallic appearance and adds some shine.

However, you might want to look into AK Xtreme Metal paints. They don't require any base coat, can be applied to any color base including bare plastic, come in a wide rage of aluminums and they're nowhere as fragile, fussy to apply or handle as Alclad. There are several reviews on YouTube and Flory did an extensive review here. 

Thanks Woody - please be as bold as you like :D

Yep - it's been a steep learning curve with regard to the metal finishes. As it happens, the finish turned out pretty much as I was aiming for - not too shiny and with the panel variations. It is a tad grainier than I'd hoped - I'll definitely use the gloss next time. 

With regard to the AK Xtremes - I did use these on the undercarriage doors and, to be honest, there doesn't appear to be much difference between these and the Alclads (albeit I only used the AKs on small areas so not really a fair comparison).

Anyway, quick update - bar a few small tweaks, she's finished:

P47D-083.jpg

More pics to follow.

Paul

• Sir Spendalot changed the title to FINISHED: Eduard 1/32 P47D Thunderbolt “Dottie Mae”

After recoating the anti-glare panel with a matt finish, I think we’ll call this done. Here are a few snaps to be going on with. I’ll take some better pics and transfer this to RFI.

P47D-084.jpg

P47D-085.jpg

P47D-086.jpg

P47D-087.jpg

P47D-088.jpg

P47D-089.jpg

P47D-090.jpg

P47D-091.jpg

P47D-092.jpg

Just want to say a final big THANK YOU to everyone who encouraged me through the build and came forward with the many useful suggestions (like putting the stick the right way around!!). Cheers

Paul