FINISHED: Eduard 1/32 P47D Thunderbolt “Dottie Mae”

Sir Spendalot

Overall it's not bad but could really use an aftermarket cockpit and engine (at least the front half of the engine).  The wings seem to suffer (my example did) from a sink mark along the exterior of each upper wing half where there is a reinforcing bar on the inside of the upper wing.  The "dent" is approximately two to the inches in length, about 1/16-inch wide (may be less) and about 0.005  - 0.008 inches deep (my best guess and again, it may not be as deep as I remember). I had no trouble filling it with regular putty and it was over and done with.  

Some think the windscreen is not positioned correctly (longitudinally) based on blueprint comparison of panel line locations.  If that's true, I don't see the error because if it is, there's another error that makes the entire forward fuselage look fine to my eye.

I much prefer the Hasegawa offering over the Trumpeter one simply for its lack of pothole riveting and the Trumpeter bulged shape of the canopy/windscreen cross-section.  I just can't get past it.

That's my take on it having built two.  Others may have differing opinions so take it FWIW.

Guest Vincent
11 hours ago, John1 said:

Always looking for a new project, completely forgot about this kit.  What’s the 411 on it with regards to details and accuracy?  

The fuselage is not large enough and the cockpit depth is ridiculous.

The trumpeter kits are much much more accurate

Quick update. I’ve now added the IP to the pit (and turned the stick around the right way) and closed up the fuselage halves. The IP is the supplied PE parts to which I added some Microscale clear for the lenses.P47D-010.jpg

P47D-011.jpgP47D-012.jpg

I’ve done a bit of scraping and sanding but managed to remove some detail off the front end. I’ll need to re-rivet (no problem) but will also need to add the round screw-like latches(?) back in – any suggestions gratefully received. And is there supposed to be a panel line along the centre top front of the fuselage (ie along the seam line)?

The engine is now well under way and I hope to have some photos in the next day or two.

Edited by Sir Spendalot

Hi Paul

Nice work on your P-47. No-one appears to have mentioned a bit of an issue that exists with the alignment of the engine/cowling to the front of the fuselage. It is  easily addressed though. Here's a link on LSP showing Rick sorting the error out (easier than me re-explaining)...

Of course, check the issue is there before you start cutting.. :) I don't think Hasegawa changed any parts to address the issue, but I haven't always heard the issue mentioned on every P-47 build...

Matt

2 hours ago, Sir Spendalot said:

is there supposed to be a panel line along the centre top front of the fuselage (ie along the seam line)?

I don't think so. It isn't an easy are to find images of this area.

Update - Squadron Walk Around line drawings show no centre line panel lines/seams anywhere on the fuselage.

Matt

Yes, the panel  right in front of the windscreen has a line along the fuselage seam.  You can actually see it in your second photo.  There are no others from the windscreen forward that have that seam.

I totally forgot about the mismatch of the engine assembly to the fuselage.  There's an approximately 1mm gap on top of the fuselage where the cowl flaps are and a step of about the same amount at the bottom.  There's a few ways to correct it but most saw off the mounting plug on the fuselage and reattach it (after fillling in the sawhole cut) lower by about 1mm (or until it looks right).  I believe the screw-like latches are supposed to represent the screws and the only way I know of to put them back on is by a rivet tool that leaves a circular mark of the same diameter and then scribe a line across the diameter of the recessed circle.  Tedious at best....

Edited by Juggernut

Thanks guys - very helpful. I figured there might be as the screws are very close together.

I've just checked the engine assembly fit and it's definitely off! Time to bring out the saw.

One final question/cry for help before finishing off the engine section: I've checked a number of photos and builds and can't figure out what colour I should use for the inside of the engine covers. So far I've seen dark green and chromate yellow ... and the instructions say silver! Any ideas?

More work on the Jugg.

As per Matt’s post, the butchered front end. A quick test fit shows this to work a treat:

P47D-013.jpg

Main engine parts before weathering:

P47D-014.jpg

Main engine parts assembled with ignition wires and a bit of weathering (black and burnt umber oil mix):

P47D-015.jpg

P47D-016.jpg

I plan to finish the weathering with a few pigments.

And finally, the wheel wells. I initially tried Tamiya’s yellow green but it appeared to be too green. This final colour is AK's new Real Color Yellow Chromate:

P47D-017.jpg

That's all for now.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

After my last post I’d planned to get on with the wings … but then got distracted by a few other bits. Anyway, here’s a few more pics, comments and general observations.

The undercarriage parts before painting showing the PE. There were awkward injector pin marks on the small doors to the left – a bit of attention with a mini sanding stick sorted them out

P47D-018.jpg

The undercarriage parts almost finished (can’t really see them in the pics but I’ve added cables to the oleos)

P47D-019.jpg

Drops tanks ready for paint

P47D-020.jpg

Wheel wells weathered and installed (added a bit of cabling)

P47D-021.jpg

Then a bit of a problem/conundrum: The locations for the bombs/drop tank racks appear to be blocked by a long strip running from the shell vents(?) to the flaps

P47D-022.jpg

After searching in vain for relevant information or photos, I eventually found one in Rick K’s build. It looks like he removed the strips. So:

P47D-023.jpg

P47D-024.jpg

And finally, a quick test fit of the wings (I think I can get rid of the gap by gluing the underside first and the pulling the top up with Tamiya tape (tip-to-tip)

P47D-025.jpg

…and the front end

P47D-026.jpg

Back soon!

Paul