FINISHED: Eduard 1/32 P47D Thunderbolt “Dottie Mae”

Sir Spendalot

Time to add the wings. Turns out, apart from a number of sink marks around the wing root (as mentioned by Juggernut), I also had a problem with the fit at the trailing edge of the wing where there was a 1mm step up to the fuse.

P47D-027.jpg

I removed some styrene from the step on the inner end of the wing

P47D-028.jpg

But this still left a step on the underside behind the wheel wells. A bit of filler and sanding and I think it’s looking a bit better.

P47D-029.jpg

A few pics with the wings in place (a bit more Jug-like :D)

P47D-030.jpg

P47D-031.jpgP47D-032.jpg

I’ve also been working on the flaps. After making the faux pas with the stick, I went one better with the flaps and closed them up without inserting the hinges first! :BANGHEAD2: After a bit (for which read major) surgery, I managed to open them back up and set the hinges. The following pic shows the flaps with the PE parts along with the canopy runner – which includes what have to be the fiddliest bits of PE I’ve ever come across

P47D-033.jpg

And finally, the drop tanks painted using AK’s Extreme Metal aluminium (not quite ready to try Alclad)

P47D-034.jpg

Until next time

Paul

I’ve been beavering away on all the small bits (photos to follow) but then got distracted by this:P47D-035.jpg

This is one of the beautifully crafted figures from Wings Cockpit range and makes a great (if not quite as glamorous) replacement for the figure in the Eduard poster.

Back to the Jugg shortly!

Paul

A little more progress. The wheels are all done along with the prop (subject to a bit more weathering and a change of varnish):P47D-036.jpg

The only gripe I have with this kit so far is the instructions. There are a couple of bits that are unclear, like removing parts of the flap hinges … then illustrating the removed parts in later instruction steps. There was also no mention of the fact that you need to drill out the centre of the wheels. Nothing major – just a bit distracting.

As mentioned previously, I needed to rescribe the panel lines and screw fasteners in front of the canopy. For the latter I needed an 8mm hollow punch – which finally arrived yesterday. Initially, I tried just pressing and twisting the punch but it just slipped across the plastic. The final solution was to heat the tip and press. Then I cut across each circle with a No.11 blade. Not perfect, but should look ok under a few coats of paint.

P47D-037.jpg

Then on to the fiddly masking bit and we’re ready for the undercoat.

P47D-038.jpg

Now off for some fresh air and stretches :D

Paul

Edited by Sir Spendalot
Typo

And, as Brian rightly surmised, it’s off to the spray booth. Firstly, some before shots:

P47D-039.jpg

P47D-040.jpg

Then a few shots after the stynylrez grey undercoat (used to check for faults and blemishes):

P47D-041.jpg

P47D-042.jpg

P47D-043.jpgP47D-044.jpg

At this stage I discovered a few more sink marks which I decided I would refer to as “stressed skin” … or the result of a heavy-handed mechanic!

And then on to the first black coat for which I used the black base from AK’s Extreme range. It’s little more “speckly” than I expected so I may try to fine sand and recoat with a thinner mix:

P47D-045a.jpg

P47D-046.jpg

P47D-047.jpg

I had planned to use some metal gun barrels – but forgot to order them. So, with magnifier set on full, I drilled out the centres on 8 barrels … then forgot to take a photo. Next time!

Paul

Enjoying the build immensely. There can never be enough Thunderbolts on this forum.

Congrats on winning the raffle as well if I have the right guy.  

Jeff

Edited by JefH
Error

6 hours ago, JefH said:

Enjoying the build immensely. There can never be enough Thunderbolts on this forum.

Congrats on winning the raffle as well if I have the right guy.  

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Yes that was me winning the raffle. Really surprised  and very happy :D . Hope I can do it justice! 

On 1/24/2019 at 5:50 AM, Sir Spendalot said:

Thanks!

Re the Alclads - too many scary stories of pealing paint and frustrated searches for perfect finishes :unsure:

What's to fear? They need no thinning and spray perfectly out of the bottle. As long as your base coat is nice and smooth (you must base coat with Alclad, I've used Model Master enamels) you'll get good results. You DO have to think about procedure though, while they're more durable than Model Master's Metalizers, you may want to spray camo colors before the Alclad paint and mask those. With that said Post Its work well for masking, if you want to create panels with different sheen's.

Ok, I’m giving into the pressure. I found these at the back of a draw and one of the lids would suggest I tried this before. Weird that I can’t remember using them … maybe too traumatic!

P47D-048.jpg

And here’s the Jugg with a couple of coats of the primer/micro filler

P47D-049.jpg

P47D-050.jpg

Now for the shiny coat

Paul

On 1/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Sir Spendalot said:

And finally, the drop tanks painted using AK’s Extreme Metal aluminium (not quite ready to try Alclad)

don't bother - it's massively overrated

the AK metal paints will give you as good results without being temperamental to work with

for every stunner using Alclad, there are another five builds where it's been a pain in the backside; more delicate than a flower, and when trying to mask over it shows about as much resistance as the French in 1940 

anyway, enjoying your build

thank you for sharing