HPH Catalina

Phartycr0c

Hi Folks, as i made mention Im into this GB with a HPH Catalina that has been vying for my attention for a while, and this GB is the prefect excuse to build the beast. 

Because of real life going on I wont be along until at least Feb with a start so when I get 5 I will pop up a couple of the obligatory box and contents shots. 

Now then, I need a little help with markings for this. from the available colour schemes associated with the catalina, I have narrowed it down to a choice of two.

I really like the grey and two blue US markings. this option is provided in the kit so would be ready to go.  

The second scheme im considering is that of a  "Black Cat" which would mean sourcing some nose art and associated serial numbers, 

Both aircraft would appear heavily weathered (I have some great reference photos) just need a little guidance to what you folks would like to see? 

Hi Dave, looking forward to seeing another Cat being build.

On my short list was one of the 'Snafu Snatchers'  - Search and rescue in the pacific, as well as a Black Cat.

ofgcJH3.jpg

Regarding the Black Cats, I believe most of them were PBY-s, not amphibians, at least the ones with a 'lot of action' 

I can recommend these books if you need some 'inspiration' along the way...

LPmd2Do.jpg

Happy modelling:: Kent

2 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

Hi Dave, looking forward to seeing another Cat being build.

Regarding the Black Cats, I believe most of them were PBY-s, not amphibians, at least the ones with a 'lot of action' 

Yep Kent, I make no apologies for using your build as a reference and I will be plagiarising it heavily, then again, what is it they say about imitation being the best form of flattery? 

Looking into the Black Cats, your absolutely right, most were indeed PBy's and also most had the eyeball turret upgrade to boot. I will have to pick very carefullt the subject if I go down this particular path. 

Thanks for the reference, ill look into them 

As I understand it, the Black Cats were all field modifications mounting various ordnance under the wing - some carrying a torpedo, some with bombs, I even saw a comment about one mounting a depth charge. Therefore, any armament combo you can imagine, using ordnance available in the period and minding weight limits, is fair game. Ok, so the paint scheme might be a bit flat (pun intended), but the cool factor would be in what armaments to install. Maybe a pack howitzer gun pod............

For a Blackcat PBY-5A  you need the radar pod on top of the canopy. For any black cat you would need the fishtail exhausts also. 

yes They carried debth bomb bombs and torpedoes. I've actually seen a photo with a thousand pounder on the inside. A depth bomb on the outside and a torpedo on the opposite wing