I must be crazy...B-24J build.

1to1scale

I believe I may have been one of the very first few people with one of the Hobby Boss B-24J, because I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I happened to meet the local IPMS president a few weeks before, we spoke about the flock of P-40’s I was building, a week later he messaged me that he had an extra P-40F he ordered, and wanted to know if I wanted one. I did, so myself and another guy met him at his house to pick up our orders, only to see a stack of 8 B-24’s he ordered, he mentioned he had an extra B-24. At the time I knew I had one on order from Hannants, so I declined, but as fate would have it, the other guy took it, a few days later, he traded me a few kits I had. Oh yeah, a week later, my other B-24 arrived! 

399DCF1F-4F04-4E50-BE21-331CD47870B1.jpe

76184B3A-2389-446B-870B-842AA970F81B.jpe

When I originally started this build, I planned to do a 100% OTB build, but as I started playing with plastic, I decided there are some things I could scratch build and some things I need to scratch build. Without question, the front turret is a total disaster, nothing about it was correct except that it had two guns. I decided to order some supplies, an old Mattel Vac-u-form, PETG, and some casting resin and RTV. I am going to make a new front turret. More details to follow. The rear turret has much better internals, but still needs a new vac shell, since it also has a seam line in the wrong spot. 

E8FFFCBF-D871-4884-A614-9A3E53151D2D.jpe

60206032-6EBA-43F1-8F48-EEFDF0B2EADC.jpe

I actually started this build the Thursday before Christmas, but that mostly involved cutting parts off sprues and sanding. I spent a few hours fitting bulkheads and floors before I started gluing the cockpit together last weekend.

Except for the front cockpit area, all the parts are just dryfit together. Keep in mind, you will need to do some sanding around the outside of the bulkheads for the fuselage to close without filler, but if you do, it will.

DA09ABE0-D39C-4BEB-BB21-D970AC62EECE.jpe

Of course...I could not leave it stock, I pulled out my collection of styrene and started making formers. Unfortunately, I now have some new reference material, and I decided I need to go back and correct some details behind the cockpit and the rearmost bulkhead.

EB2A8F7D-D922-40F4-BD9A-5DCF1C548757.jpe

This is how you get 300g of weight in the front. 3/16 lead wire, the compartment under the floor hold 154g, the one in front hold 160g, so total of 314g. I later determined that you could probably get all 300 in the floor if you used lead sheet, and packed it in every square corner, there are a lot of voids using lead wire. Unfortunately, most places can be seen from various openings, hatches, and windows. The area in front of the pilots feet is not visible, but the false wall I built on the other side maybe visible from the bombardiers window. If I could get a replacement sprue, I might do this area over again with lead sheeting.

0AF9E58E-3804-4DF9-98D3-01FD5FD43817.jpe

So far, this is what I have done, definately under 25% rule applies. More to come.

• 2 weeks later...