Revell/ AIMS Mistel S3C Wk Nr 460066 Bernburg 1945

monthebiff

Managed to get the main work on the rear stabilisers completed today, the AIMS resin extensions are a little thick in chord but pretty easy to deal with.

20170512-133436.jpg

20170512-141438.jpg

20170512-202307.jpg

20170512-202343.jpg

Some re-scribing required but pretty happy so far, need to do some work on the huge sail of a tail plane now!

Regards. Andy

Had a good day at the bench today and made a start on the cockpit. First up I needed to modify the the rear bulkhead/ radio set from a A-4 to a late G set up. I made a new blank bulkhead from plastic card and then removed the radio set from the kit supplied assembly followed by removing the moulded on detail from the faces in readiness for Eduard replacements.

20190405-195401.jpg

20190406-171043.jpg

Also started building up the rear spar/ bulkhead assembly and decided to just add the ammo bin rack only as I guessed with a blanked off rear MG stand no bin would be needed.

20190406-171012.jpg

Really in to this build now and enjoying every moment of it. Time to detal the side walls of the cockpit now.

Regards. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress on the cockpit area this weekend, the AIMS armoured pilot seat was fitted to the modified Revell frame and then carefully removed a very poorly moulded map case from the Bordfunkerk's seat and replaced with the etched part supplied in the Eduard set as well as removing the moulded on bomb aimer's cusion as this is not fitted on the late G marks.

20190414-123946.jpg

20190414-124050.jpg

20190414-162450.jpg

Although not a lot of pictures are available of the G series 88's cockpit details one thing I wanted to do was move the emergency fuel pump from the starboard side wall and then add to the rear bulkhead and also scratch the valves, all plumbing was added with Albion micro tube.

20190419-171929-002.jpg

untitled.png

20190419-172037.jpg

Next up I'm working on adding the FuG 220 rack in the foward fuselage, I have no idea if it would have been in there as no pictures are available for the G-10 but as these airframes were built and then moved to the Mistel project at last minute as well as Wk No 460066 having a modified shortened rudder to make way for the airiel mast I'm going to go the what if route and fit the cockpit with the full array of equipment.

Regards. Andy 

On 4/23/2019 at 8:36 AM, mozart said:

That all looks incredibly complicated Andy but very convincing indeed. Love to see a detail build like this coming together! 

Thank you Max, can't help myself but add some extra's to these large cockpits and well worth the effort when it all comes together! Currently working on making a frame for the foward facing FuG 220 rack, came across this picture of an early G variant but very useful indeed.

nose-section-Ju88-G-2.jpg

Regards. Andy

Managed to get some work dne on the cocpit sidewalls this weekend, a mix of platic card, some Eduard etch as well as adding the extra cabling for the foward FuG racks.

g6-radio-beside-pilot.jpg

20190427-174053.jpg

and a quick test fit to see how things are coming together. 

20190427-174303.jpg

A few more details to add as well as building the FuG rack and then I think I'm ready to start painting the cockpit.

Regards. Andy

On 4/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, chrish said:

Wow! It’s just awe inspiring to see these builds of yours and the details you build into them.

the 110 G was bar raising on a massive level... now this!?

Great work master builder!

Very kind words Chris and thank you. Hopefully I can pull this build off and do it some justice. If it turns out anything like the G-4 I will be very happy indeed.

Regards. Andy 

Foward facing FuG rack built today from various bits and pieces, the radio faces are from the etched set supplied with the AIMS conversion with the rest from the spares box.

20190501-160709.jpg

Also added the pedals along with hydraulic lines from copper wire.

20190501-162144.jpg

I think that's the cockpit build complete now and ready for some paint, just in time for the upcoming bank holiday weekend.

Regards. Andy 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been slowly working on the cockpit sub assemblies when time will allow and they are pretty close to complete now., still a bit more to do but getting close to finished now. 

Starboard side wall painted and Eduard etch added:

20190514_204242.jpg

Port side wall with Eduard etch added, also the access curtain on the side wall was first painted Tamiya Dek Tan followed by Aviattic lined decal with the red edging cut from an old decal sheet which is far easier than trying to paint a uniform line.

20190514_203851.jpg

Main cockpit assembly painted and wooden floor treated with Uschi van der Rosten wood decals which worked perfectly.

20190514_204425.jpg

A few other bits and pieces to paint as well as some Airscale decals to add here and there followed by some HGW belts but so far so good.

Regards. Andy

Radio rack also completed also completed today.

20190515_182000.jpg

And then fitted to the rear bulkhead 

20190515_183026.jpg

Feel like I'm cheating bit with these Eduard pre printed items as I dont usually go for them, however they are pretty good and once a.flat coat has been applied everything should come together nicely.

Regards. Andy