"White 22" 1./KG(J)6 Erla 109G-10

Wackyracer

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Good start!!  I'm confused though - were any of the KG(J) 6 birds in the JaPo book Erla built??  Mine's not at hand at the moment, but I thought they were all MTT built airplanes??

Yes. Lots with serial numbers to confirm and photos of the straight edge rather than the half moon. I've yet to decide with one I'll base my scheme on, but given I mask and spray rather than decals it's not a problem.

Guest Vincent

Hi

I think you used the wrong canon cover in the cockpit. The one on the pictures looks a lot like the 30mm and i don't think Erla ever produced G10/U4

Best regards

Vincent

4 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

Hi

I think you used the wrong canon cover in the cockpit. The one on the pictures looks a lot like the 30mm and i don't think Erla ever produced G10/U4

Best regards

Vincent

no probs, I made both options up from the kit so will swap. Just went with what everyone else used in their G10 erla builds.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:13 AM, Vincent/MDC said:

Hi

Best regards

Vincent

After study of the new book I think your relating to the other japo book. The 109's in here are all G-10/R6 builds. The other book had the U4 variants and none erla builds.

Pit assembled

mqq1CkW.jpg

0zaZNh4.jpg

Yahu panel 

i3NDo6F.jpg

A6UpFgY.jpg

After the simple assembly I filled the dials with clear varnish

0sFZwvI.jpg

Pit painted. Added a few extra wires and cables

kNXvjGw.jpg

Then a bit of weathering

Z9Liyh7.jpg

KabZWrS.jpg

HGW belts

UrKrIrt.jpg

Added to check for length

tweMZ92.jpg

Barracuda wing inserts glued and bays sprayed aluminium

DplngK7.jpg

6vibpWu.jpg

Cool. Looks like you've got that white wash down to a fine art. With the inside of the resin inserts you can  still see the resin colour through where the mlg legs go. Hope you haven't got the wing halves glued together bud.

Cheers Bevan 

1 hour ago, Scale32 said:

Cool. Looks like you've got that white wash down to a fine art. With the inside of the resin inserts you can  still see the resin colour through where the mlg legs go. Hope you haven't got the wing halves glued together bud.

Cheers Bevan 

Cheers Bevan

No not glued together yet :D. The wing spar slots in nicely though the resin openings. Decided this was the best way to get a clean join on the upper wings and wing root/fuselage. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the heads up on the wing insides. Thought I'd sprayed everywhere in there. Not a problem. I'll tackle with gunze buffable metal paint and a hairy stick :D

Sorted the wheel wells Bevan

UYZg8WS.jpg

And finished off the belts with a wash and fixed.

5bf9EvO.jpg

Dry fitting all the main bits

dRdYtjO.jpg

Added some shims to the fuse/wing joint. 

VdBOLwW.jpg

Yahu instrument panel in place

Th8s0Hk.jpg

Will add the gunsight later

More dry fitting with the Barracuda exhausts

obD0QlO.jpg

2 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Nicely done.

DplngK7.jpg

I don't know enough about this kit to know why these inserts are better than the kit parts.  Could you elaborate?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

The kit parts have the large wheel bulges like the k-4. Many of the g-10's had these smaller bulges like the g-6. These barracuda replacements allow you to replicate these planes.

I wanted to fit the exhausts at the end of painting etc so added some plasicard to the insides.

fFdWCaC.jpg

Then trimmed and thinned the exhaust mounts so they'd fit from the outside.

A4jVaSo.jpg

Also fitted the barracuda oil cooler

mJZnpjO.jpg

And the Aims replacement gun cowling. Fit was almost perfect. Just a quick sand for an invisible join then describe the panel line later.

1yP9wl3.jpg

Mr Surfacer 1500 to prime and check

i9CzacM.jpg

Adding the tail section. 3 tail options in the box. Photos of my build are nearly impossible to tell the exact version, so went with the late version without the long lower tab.

i8LCgvE.jpg