Hasegawa Ju87G Kanonenvogel - vacuforming done!!

BiggTim

Now THAT, is a picture I have never seen! Thanks! I really need a paint mule to experiment on.

On closer examination now that I'm on my PC and not my phone, it seems he's touching up the white around the balkenkreuz by spraying, while the rest of the white seems older and worn.

Edited by BiggTim

Has anyone else noticed that all of the canopy masks available for the Stuka G appear to be incorrect, at least for the exterior canopy frames? All of the photos I can find of the G canopies seem to show that some of the frames are on the inside ONLY, not the outside, yet all the mask sets are a mirror of the inside. Am I seeing this correctly?

• 1 month later...

A bit slow lately,  I'm afraid. I just got the new clear parts from Jeff to replace the ones I messed up, and the plastic sheets to try vac forming the revised two piece rear turret. Still working on the masters for that, then I have to cast new ones in resin. So it might be a bit yet.

5 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Don't forget you can use the Mastercasters “pant-less” gear legs I mastered - if you want to do a bird without the wheel pants.... I am assuming Mastercasters is still active? Great job so far - I love the cannons!! 

Cheers

Alan

I've seen those, Alan, and they are nice. However, the bird I'm doing has pants!

Well, I finally had some success with vac-forming some canopies. The first time that has happened!! Using the rear canopy I cracked as a mold, I poured a couple of resin blanks inside it to use as plugs for the forming. One of them became the overall canopy blank, and the other got whittled down to be the turret blank. These were used to make a silicone mold in order to pour new resin blanks to use in the actual vac-forming process, as suggested by others here on the forum. Here they are situated in the box I used to pour the mold:

20190321-200904.jpg

Here are all the parts and steps: primed resin masters on the left, silicone mold, resin blanks, and the final clear acyrlic pulls.

20190323-141903.jpg

Now don't laugh, but here is my "janky" (my son's word for it) home-made vac-forming setup, made from a coffee can, some PVC pipe fittings, a flex hose adapter for the shop vacuum, and two pieces of particle board to hold the plastic:

20190323-141559.jpg

20190323_141615.jpg

Pretty goofy looking, but it worked! Here are the final products, with kit part shown for reference. I trimmed a couple of the pieces to show the two methods I'm considering. One is to use both vac-formed parts to replace both rear canopy pieces entirely. If that does not work, I can always cut the turret out of the kit part and use the vac turret with that.

20190323_144956.jpg

I made extras because I'm likely to screw up at least a couple of them. Thanks to JeffH, I have a new set of kit parts to replace the front canopy piece I ruined, so If this doesn't work, I can fall back on the kit part entirely. And a thank to Iain for the tip on the clear plastic - it worked perfectly! Its easy to cut, flexible, not brittle, and clear as can be. Great stuff, great tip!! 

Tim

Edited by BiggTim