Hasegawa Ju87G Kanonenvogel - vacuforming done!!

BiggTim

• 2 weeks later...

Need some input from you guys about winter camo on these Eastern Front Stukas. From what I've been able to gather, I am working under the following assumptions:

1. It was field applied with a brush.

2. It appears to be thin, and did not cover well, or hold up well, which probably means:

3. It may have been water based, such as old milk paint, or something similar, so it could be washed off in the spring.

Am I on the right track on this stuff, or way off?

Tim

Just now, BiggTim said:

Need some input from you guys about winter camo on these Eastern Front Stukas. From what I've been able to gather, I am working under the following assumptions:

1. It was field applied with a brush.

2. It appears to be thin, and did not cover well, or hold up well, which probably means:

3. It may have been water based, such as old milk paint, or something similar, so it could be washed off in the spring.

Am I on the right track on this stuff, or way off?

Tim

AK (at least I THINK its AK....will check when Im at home) makes an excellent winter camo paint, as well as a nice winter camo wash. 

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

AK (at least I THINK its AK....will check when Im at home) makes an excellent winter camo paint, as well as a nice winter camo wash. 

I bought some similar acrylic white and thinner to experiment with making a wash, and it's working very well on my test bed, but I want to make sure I'm working under the right assumptions before putting it on the plane.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:45 AM, BiggTim said:

This is the bird I'm aiming for, but that white-wash job looks tough to replicate. Lots of experimentation ahead.

Ju87-G-DI-BY.jpg

Hey Tim....you might want to try the overall salt method for the water based winter white they used on the Ostfront...seen some super results with it. 

I did a B years ago and laid down two coats of clear over the basic camo then a flat white (thin coat)..removed the white where we wanted to with 1500 sandpaper followed by a 4000 polishing cloth,all of this with water of course.....Really like what you're doing..the canon gondolas look like the real thing.:popcorn::clap2:

12 minutes ago, williamj said:

Hey Tim....you might want to try the overall salt method for the water based winter white they used on the Ostfront...seen some super results with it. 

I did a B years ago and laid down two coats of clear over the basic camo then a flat white (thin coat)..removed the white where we wanted to with 1500 sandpaper followed by a 4000 polishing cloth,all of this with water of course.....Really like what you're doing..the canon gondolas look like the real thing.:popcorn::clap2:

Bill, what type of paint were you using - acrylic or enamel? I intend to use enamel for the base colors because I already have them and am very comfortable with them, and then acrylic for the white over painting. 

I used a flat enamel..the reason it worked better (for me sanding) was that it didn't "ball up" like acrylics when removing,powdered instead.

but most importantly..you have to separate the base colors from the white with a good layer of clear,prevent you going too deep into the original color. 

Edited by williamj

Thanks, Martin! Interesting to note on the first image, that the 'A' on the landing gear, and the 'glycol' label on the cowl both appear to be applied OVER the white paint. In most other images I've seen, the white appears to be applied around the major markings, and over all of the minor markings such as these. Very odd indeed.