"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

Brian, outstanding work on an extremely interesting subject and on which you are just killing it.  I keep going back though the threads to review what you have done.  SO this WILL be at Chattanooga right???  :m0152::hmmm:

Fantastic man, just a superb build to enjoy. I love the fading steps, dusting on the lightened weathering. Really tones it nicely. Your build inspired me to pull the trigger and purchase an HK DO-335A. What s super kit. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

jimbo

Great looking model Brian. 

I have a quick question for you. U used tamiya brown panel line wash. What clear coat did you use in between and what solvent do you use to wipe the excess.? 

I use these washes but ive run into issues where while wiping away it takes my clear coat with it. Or it goes through my clear.  Either way i get damage every time making weathering something im starting to fear

Im sure is a me using it wrong issue but looking at you success i sure your doing it right.

Thanks gents!

3 hours ago, Neo said:

I have a quick question for you. U used tamiya brown panel line wash. What clear coat did you use in between and what solvent do you use to wipe the excess? 

Hey Neo,

All the paint in the model is MRP which is an acrylic lacquer. The Tamiya panel line wash is an extremely thin enamel, and for wiping that off I just used a base enamel spirits, which wont effect acrylics.

After all of the base weathering was done, I used MRP matt/flat acrylic lacquer clear over the top, then I could proceed with the other weathering (also enamel) without disturbing the layers below. AKI make a whole range of enamel weathering products that you can use on most any acrylic paint or clear. As long as you use enamel spirits to remove the Tamiya panel line accent color and have used acrylic paint and clear you should be good. MRP paint and clears work really well with the AKI enamel products.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks gents!

Hey Neo,

All the paint in the model is MRP which is an acrylic lacquer. The Tamiya panel line wash is an extremely thin enamel, and for wiping that off I just used a base enamel spirits, which wont effect acrylics.

After all of the base weathering was done, I used MRP matt/flat acrylic lacquer clear over the top, then I could proceed with the other weathering (also enamel) without disturbing the layers below. AKI make a whole range of enamel weathering products that you can use on most any acrylic paint or clear. As long as you use enamel spirits to remove the Tamiya panel line accent color and have used acrylic paint and clear you should be good. MRP paint and clears work really well with the AKI enamel products.

Thanks Brian

I use enamel paint i.e humbrol and MM. I guess if i get a strong clear like mrp that would be the solution. 

Cheers

Thanks boys!   Well I'm calling the paint and weathering phases fully completed. As was mentioned above, its occasionally hard to know where to stop, but I got through all the stuff I wanted to add without going to crazy on the chipping or super heavy weathering.

Pics in just a bit................. 

Weathering I'm sure appears heavy to some, but in my world in 1945, JG 27s Do-335 A-2s were in steady, steady combat for months and months in a very harsh dessert environment.

Overall flat coat on the upper surfaces, stains and leaks from some of the inspection/refill hatches, engine oil leaks on the underside at the nose, and from the rear engine at the exit for the rad intake. Overall chipping is really only where the pilot and ground crew would have been mainly. AKI dust effects used for the flat dusty appearance, and Tamiya weathering pallets for the exhaust and sooty appearance around wing leading edge roots and elevator roots.

This is right out of the last bit of weathering, and straight from the clear parts unmasking. LOTS of touch-ups to do on that front, as I cracked the windscreen, but applied some slight damage to the windscreen frame in that area and have called it "golden bee-bee" damage from a very lucky shot from the ground by someone shooting at Marseille's Do-335.

The landing light needs a LOT Of help too, mainly paint trim around the edge. I (apparently) cracked the landing light too, but about as much can be done for that as the cracked windscreen, which is nothing at this point. Ill just have to live with it, as I have NO desire to rip either out at this point :

20190407_200105-X2.jpg

Canopy has some minor cleanup needs to, but fortunately only some mineral spirits needed to clean up some errant Tamiya panel line accent color. Otherwise the masks worked a treat:

20190407_195925-X2.jpg

Fräulein Pheil now has fangs:

20190407_200006-X2.jpg

20190408_064616-X2.jpg

20190408_064628-X2.jpg

You can also see the "golden bee-bee" damage here as well:

20190407_200121-X2.jpg

AKI leaks and stains applied to some filler/access hatches:

20190407_200140-X2.jpg

20190407_200157-X2.jpg

20190407_200230-X2.jpg

20190407_200301-X2.jpg

Underside also complete. Much heavier staining here as would be found on the real deal if in sustained combat:

20190407_200431-X2.jpg

20190407_200443-X3.jpg

MORE.........................

20190407_200538-X3.jpg

20190407_200455-X3.jpg

20190407_200527-X3.jpg

20190407_200524-X3.jpg

Lastly for the weekend, I got the Ruhrstahl Ru 344 X-4 missiles about 80% completed. The paint and weathering is done, fins are completed (but crappy cell phone pics dont make them look quite as cool as they are IRL) and really all that remains for them now is the making and painting the anti-sway braces and have the stainless steel tubing on the fins opposite of the wire guided fairing fins:

20190407_222818-L.jpg

20190407_222846-L.jpg

20190407_222853-L.jpg

All for now gents. Ill be back on the big fräulein later today/this week, as I need to start back up on the missing pieces of the puzzle, which are the tubes for four out of the eight X-4 missile fins, the X-4 anti-sway brackets,  landing gear, landing gear door interiors, and the MLG bays which still need to be completed as well.

Then it comes down to installing the landing gear, gear doors, X-4 missiles, wire guides and then pitot tube, underbelly Fug 25a antenna, and the upper full radio antenna.

Thanks for looking in on me! 

That's one grimey Pfeila and the missiles are gorgeous!

The spinners and the dust effects look brilliant. maybe - but that's just my taste - the exhaust staining is a little bit too hard edged.

Maybe some careful blending, or a little work with the airbrush?

Excellent finish on the Do-335.  I don't think the weathering is heavy at all.  The only thing I could possibly disagree with are the X-4 missiles. Marseille as a master shot and guided missiles ... they don't seem to go together.  :P  But they look fabulous with their wooden wings!