"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

That's looking good so far! I like the variance in the blotch size but the outline of the blotches seems a bit harsh and irregular. In my opinion they would look better if they were abit more round - it's hard to describe and definitely down to personal taste!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

31 minutes ago, Fanes said:

That's looking good so far! I like the variance in the blotch size but the outline of the blotches seems a bit harsh and irregular. In my opinion they would look better if they were abit more round - it's hard to describe and definitely down to personal taste!

It is!  AAMOF, I kind of thought I would like them more rounded too.  In actuality, I started looking at the way the real deal looked, and I had second thoughts.................

The real JG 27 camo was all over the place shape wise on the mottles, but mostly it started to look way too perfect, and perfectly spaced to me as getting the shapes more standard shaped and closer to round is what I did on the fuselage, but I honestly didn't like the way it looked overall. 

Honestly that is the most bizarre looking camo! I see why it has grown on you, it's a shocker at first glance. What a cool build. You've given it a nice random look with an element of uniformity in how you placed the mottles. I like the edges of them as well. I need to go back and look at the details of your kite string experiment. I think that has potential for my next build as well. Thanks for keeping us up with all the details you've put into this one!

Thanks!  
It is a bit bizzare, and super stark!  Im hoping that with some markings and weathering things will tone things down, and make it a bit more "livable".   It is growing on me a bit, and just tonight I've gotten all the markings and victory markings made via my Silhouette software, and dug out my Maketar mask set for the crosses.

Yep Brian nicely done should look very cool with all the markings on her! :thumbsup: Amazing how just putting them on suddenly everything comes alive.

Can relate to the desk mess - that how mine looks permanently.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Looks good, Brian! I might adjust some of the wing splotches to look more like the elevator ones: remember this was no doubt done by a guy standing on the wing with a spray gun. But overall looks good. 

My first thought when I saw the photo: "When did Brian run over here and set the model on my desk to take a picture?" Glad I am not the only one!:lol:

Thanks boys! 

On 3/16/2019 at 11:55 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Looks good, Brian! I might adjust some of the wing splotches to look more like the elevator ones

To tell you the truth, my original plan was to put larger more symmetrical splotches on the fuse, and have smaller and larger more random splotches with more random shapes on the wings.......but I initially forgot about the elevators in that plan, so they ended up with the same effect as the fuselage had.

Iv actually remedied that, as I think you are right, they should be alike.......

I thought I'd like the larger more symmetrical splotching, but in the end I liked the more varied sized camo on the wings and elevators with the larger camo on the fuselage and vertical stab, so I fixed the elevators to match the wings.

At the same time, I utilized the Maketar Do-335 mask set along with my own designs to get the white down. This includes Marseille's "200" and the crossed swords in his oak leaf & crossed swords victory crest:

20190317_123954-XL.jpg

20190317_123939-XL.jpg

20190317_124024-XL.jpg

20190317_124034-XL.jpg

I'm off to let the white harden off and eat some corned beef and cabbage w/potatoes.

Cheers, and happy St. Patrick's day!

Thanks again boys. Ive actually made some adjustments to the camo on the elevators again. I put a couple more symmetrically shaped spots on the tail, to better match the wings, but at this point Im happy with it.

It IS different than the original leopard spot camo, but this is a what-if and wanted to do something a bit different. I also know sometimes the Germans did put different types of spots or camo in different places on the aircraft, so I feel this one is at least plausible

I actually sprayed the black on last night too after dinner with the fiance and kids.  I always seem to screw up small masks with tiny outlines on them; in particular the hakenkreuz mask.   I know its not going to turn out to my satisfaction, so Im in for some cleanup on that one Im sure. At the same time I shot the black for the underside masks and hakenkreuz, I shot the "Otto" on the port side fuselage. 

All that is left for paint markings wise, is the RLM 04 for the oak leaves in Marseille's victory crest, the victory marks for the rudder, and the yellow "14".  Once that is all shot, its down to shooting a spot of gloss for the JG 27 insignia decal, and then maybe some light stencil decals.