"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

this will be kind of cool i  must admit, and i'm not normally into Luft 46

must ask though - where are getting that White 3 was Marseille's aircraft?

in all my years surfing the net i have never heard that before

so not disputing, just wondering where I've been!

:doh:

This book contains all the aircraft Marseille flew in combat, I do have it, but due to the house extension upheaval, I don't have a clue where it is. Marseille flew a Bf 109E-7 trop, yellow 7, in Africa, which was pretty much in European camouflage, think he moved onto an F-2 after that. The last 109 he flew was a G-2...

I gathered the white 3 info from two different places about Marseille, but it could have been fabricated for all I know.

Since it's a what if, I'm probably just going to leave it..........

On another note thanks to an LSP member I may have another couple of surprises for the Do-335!

In the form of two Ruhrstahl wire guided missiles.

Thanks guys!  Since I cant be sure really that white 3 was Marseille's, (likely an erroneous nod to him by someone coloring in the White 3 profile) I have "fixed" my story in that Marseille was paying tribute to the scheme that JG-27 used in 1941, which solves my problem of him paying tribute to white 3:

"In early April, in honor of his 200th kill Marseille was allowed to pay tribute to the first days of JG-27 in Africa, and had his new Do-335 A-2 Trop painted in the "leopard spot" scheme JG-27 used in 1941 when they were transferred to Africa."

Thanks guys! That actually isnt bad news, as I changed my story to reflect Marseilles scheme change as a general tribute to JG-27s first days on the African continent. 

In other news on the Do-335 front, thanks to our very own Mikkel (AKA Mebo here on LSP) I now have coming to me some absolutely gorgeous 1/32nd X-4 Ruhrstahl wire guided missles to hang under the Do-335 along with the small mods (joystick and elbow rest mainly) that go with the XRuhrstahls:

6g98lS.jpg

iYx4hF.jpg

50fpIk.jpg

EjqEHI.jpg

And the small dash mounted joystick to control them:

53QZsm.png

Thanks again Mikkel! 

Brilliant work Brian, That cockpit looks amazing and the Ruhrstahls will look superb. 

The camouflage pattern you've chosen will add some real interest to the 335. With so few real examples ever having been produced variation is not exactly prolific, so other than basing builds on available references,  builds of this subject would be a little "samey" which is why the subject lends itself so well to your "whatiffery" concept, In fact come to think of it, arnt the nightfighter models"What if''s in their own right? 

Keep up the good work, and Im glad your feeling so much better after your op. 

Just now, Phartycr0c said:

Brilliant work Brian, That cockpit looks amazing and the Ruhrstahls will look superb. 

The camouflage pattern you've chosen will add some real interest to the 335. With so few real examples ever having been produced variation is not exactly prolific, so other than basing builds on available references,  builds of this subject would be a little "samey" which is why the subject lends itself so well to your "whatiffery" concept, In fact come to think of it, arnt the nightfighter models"What if''s in their own right? 

Keep up the good work, and Im glad your feeling so much better after your op. 

Thanks Dave!   It was certainly life changing; or maybe more appropriately life "returning".     I believe that the B-6 actually did exist, but in relatively few numbers.  IIRC, the French captured a B-6 in 1945. It may have been the only, or one of the only examples built.