"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

Thanks gents!  More weathering tonight, this time its on the underside only with AKIs "dust effects" which are technically for landing gear (which I will use on them too) but this time I used my airbrush to effect some dust on the underside, where kicked up by the prop, across the inner section of the underside, wing roots, and behind the flaps and gear wells.

I also got some of the same sections on top, to give it an overall dusty effect, but concentrated more on the sections that would have been blasted by prop wash.

No pics of that yet, as I was letting it all dry, then covering with and overall semi-gloss clear, then a flat clear over just the dusty parts to give the worn feel. While all that was curing off, I got the main bodies of the Ruhrstahls done. This is all MRP, from nose to tail, insignia white, aluminum, steel and jet exhaust for the rocket tip. This was washed with Tamiyas enamel brown panel line accent:

20190331_172402-X2.jpg

Ive just unmasked the Ruhrstahl winglettes, and have applied the first side of Uschi wood decals.

More pics later this week after I get the other side of the wood decals on, and can get to a stage of showing the missiles completed. I just have to paint and install the sway braces. The missiles are coming along great IMHO, and will add a lot to the finished model. 

Cheers and stay tuned to this channel for more pics this week! 

Thanks all! I actually have been slowly adding weathering to the big dessert beast. I have the flat coat on top, some very subtle chipping started and some dust effects added. Just havnt had time to sit at the bench long enough to take pictures.

Next up, is finishing off the X-4 missiles, and then cranking out one of the last things to do which is the landing gear.

Ive been working on a review for the new AOA F-4 decals, and trying to box up some clear parts for the old vac Beaufighter to get replicated so my time with the big 335 has been limited the last week or so. 

Pics soon! 

Ok, as promised here is where I am at with the weathering.....................not remotely done, but the wash (brown Tamiya panel line accent) and dust (AKI dust effects) have been added as well as some very minor chipping (Prisma color pencil) to only certain parts,  as I figured this paint job while not professionally applied would not have been super old (but daily combat would take a toll quickly) therefor likely would have been dirty but not too scratched up yet. Props and rudders are only stuck on for appearance sake at this point as I just wanted to see what I had so far. I will leave all this off again once I pick up on further weathering. Overall coated with a semi-gloss clear, then the tops/horizontal parts that were exposed to direct sunlight were hit with some MRP flat/matt for that dusty, faded flat look. I also got the dust filters and rear/belly intake scoops unmasked as well:

20190404_202038-XL.jpg

20190404_202019-XL.jpg

20190404_202325-XL.jpg

20190404_202115-XL.jpg

20190404_202350-XL.jpg

20190404_202847-XL.jpg

20190404_202852-XL.jpg

All for now, as I need to put the finishing touches on a F-4 Phantom decal review for AOA and should be back on the big bird tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers! 

Looks great.Don't overdo the weathering.

Just my opinion.

But I would have used black crosses with white outline on top and fuselage.Looks better on a light color like the sand.

Only white works better on dark colors.

Your model ofcourse.No bad comment intended.

Edited by Erwin

Thanks boys!

Irwin,

I actually stayed with what the normal Do-335s would have worn during the time frame as these are merely the later style of balkenkreuz that likely would have been worn by all combat active Do-335s.    I also went with the white only balkenkreuz on the top wings and fuse as it fit in better with the desert motif IMHO in that it blended a bit better so as to not disrupt the camo quite as much as a full white and black balkenkreuz may have. 

Thanks for looking in on me! 

Yep, I was waiting for this stage and I think it's just right.

Takes it from the "just painted" stage and knocks it back to be more realistic and given your scenario on it's age it looks right.

I can't wait to see those missiles on it.

They remind me of kind of a "Buck Rogers" type thing and that's the 1939 films!!!

:D

Thanks bub! 

I'm actually looking at my pics, and didn't do a very good job of capturing the weathering, especially the dusty/slightly chipped parts, but they are harder to see.

You actually cant see most any of the dust effects or how the flat looks IRL. Will have to think on that for future pics..........

More later, as I do plan on finishing up the weathering on the airframe this weekend, and will be moving to finish the landing gear, gear doors and X-4 missiles.