"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

On 3/1/2019 at 11:02 PM, MikeMaben said:

Wow ! has it changed your life ??   :huh:

Im still waiting. Im not 100% sold on it yet, as occasionally if I sleep wrong I get a stiff neck.  Need more time on it! 

Last night I finally got to a point where Im calling the pylons done. (no pics quite yet, as it was late when I wrapped things up).  I re-did them several times, as I was not (and STILL am not ) 100% satisfied with the shape of the guided wire arms. Im still not super happy with them, but Ive done them over enough times, that Im calling them as done as they will get. The shape of the arms is not 100% dead on equal on both sides, and it bothers my OCD/ADD/AMS a bit honestly, but at this point Im not re-doing them again

They are Ok. They are acceptable since they will not only be on the bottom of the model, but for the most part one knows what the real deal looked like.  :lol:  I also put some pre-shading on them in an effort to "camouflage" their not so perfect nature. Im hoping that if I do enough of a decent job on the X-4 missiles themselves, they will take the spotlight away from the sub-par pylon arms. 

Well, at least with wire embedded in them,  I know they will at least be decently strong, and wont snap off at the slightest bump.  At the same time I got the pylons primed and pre-shaded, I also RE-primed the areas on the airframe that needed it after modding the pylons. I also smoothed out the area around the umbrella holders, and got them pre-shaded too.

Ive been kind of dragging my feet here, as I hadn't wanted to continue to tackle the pylons, as I had a feeling they were heading for a less than perfect result, but at this point, the build is supposed to be about fun and relaxation, and the paint, so Im close enough to paint, I'm going to call them close enough. 

Pics later, as all I need to do now is spritz some RLM 78 on the tops of the pylon arms since that is the area I wont be able to reach once they are permanently installed, and them Im ready to permanently mount them and get to some overall paint.

I think Im gong to try the basing technique recently shown using a cut Scotch brite  kitchen pad. 

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

the build is supposed to be about fun and relaxation, and the paint, so Im close enough to paint, I'm going to call them close enough. 

ByyyJove I think he's got it !!

qsxWLGU.jpg

As to the real deal................

I actually got the pylons finished and a bit O pre-shading done on them to help camouflage how poorly they are done. These are more "3 foot" stand off scale, but fortunately they will be under the wings, and not as easy to see:

20190304_185315-XL.jpg

20190304_185320-XL.jpg

20190304_185405-XL.jpg

Definitely not my best work, but not the worst either. They will suffice for this particular project.    I also goofed a bit on installing them...................

I had planned on painting the upper wing-lette part of the arms sticking out from the sides of the pylons RLM 78 prior to installing them as they were going to be hard to reach. Of course I forgot all about that, and just went ahead and installed them anyway!  :BANGHEAD2:

Duh!   After getting them glued in place where I wanted, I used some "Perfect Plastic Putty"  to fill in the minuscule gap around the base of the pylons, then wiped things off with a damp cotton bud and pre-shaded that area once the putty was dry.   

So, now Im all ready for the RLM 78!!!      Im just hoping not getting to paint any of the pylon upper surfaces will come back to blow up in my face, then circle back around and bite me in the posterior.    Im HOPING I can reach enough paint to the upper surfaces to make things look like they should. 

"I had planned on painting the upper wing-lette part of the arms sticking out from the sides of the pylons RLM 78 prior to installing them as they were going to be hard to reach. Of course I forgot all about that, and just went ahead and installed them anyway!  :BANGHEAD2:"

Ohh man I feel your pain on this one. Been there, done that, bought the hat! Made me laugh because just last night I wrote two big notes in pencil and put it on top of my workbench reminding me to remove the tape in certain spots between painting the red and the blue. I just know I'd get in the moment and forget, thus painting the tape onto my model.

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

As to the real deal................

I actually got the pylons finished and a bit O pre-shading done on them to help camouflage how poorly they are done. These are more "3 foot" stand off scale, but fortunately they will be under the wings, and not as easy to see:

20190304_185315-XL.jpg

20190304_185320-XL.jpg

20190304_185405-XL.jpg

Definitely not my best work, but not the worst either. They will suffice for this particular project.    I also goofed a bit on installing them...................

I had planned on painting the upper wing-lette part of the arms sticking out from the sides of the pylons RLM 78 prior to installing them as they were going to be hard to reach. Of course I forgot all about that, and just went ahead and installed them anyway!  :BANGHEAD2:

Duh!   After getting them glued in place where I wanted, I used some "Perfect Plastic Putty"  to fill in the minuscule gap around the base of the pylons, then wiped things off with a damp cotton bud and pre-shaded that area once the putty was dry.   

So, now Im all ready for the RLM 78!!!      Im just hoping not getting to paint any of the pylon upper surfaces will come back to blow up in my face, then circle back around and bite me in the posterior.    Im HOPING I can reach enough paint to the upper surfaces to make things look like they should. 

For a sec I thought those were curb feelers,continuing the lowrider theme.

Thanks boys. 

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

Pylons good.

Now paint plane.

:)

Yes, I do actually feel like that by now. Life keeps getting in the way, and when I do have time, I have to go back and add S@#* I left off (like the pylons). Uhhh, Ive spent more than a week just trying to get back to where I was LAST week, about ready to start paint. 

Im working from home today, and I AM (literally, right after I get done here) going to start the RLM 78.    FINALLY. Tiz the most fun part for me, so feels like Ive spent ages just getting here!

Pics later..............