"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

20 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice work, Brian! Technically the cockpit should be in RLM 66, rather than 02, but since this is a What If, I doubt you really care!

Yeah, by late 1944 all Do-335 A-2 Trops were coming from the factories w/RLM 02 cockpits..... ^_^

On 1/2/2019 at 3:13 PM, Out2gtcha said:

By the time Marseille got his Do-335 A-2, most all of the Trop versions coming out of the factories in Germany had RLM02 for all the gear bays as well as the cockpit too.  The German command found that not only did  RLM 02 survive the tortuous climate in Africa better,  but also was easier for the pilots to deal with in the cockpit, as the heat built up by some of the RLM 66 cockpits got potentially dangerous. 

Great story and great progress on the kit! Looks like a lot of fun! I really enjoy what ifs.

A little known fact is that Marseille also flew for a short time the He 162. He liked the light weight fighter a lot but the jet engine gave endless problems, and the unavoidable ingestion of sand did not help. Note the aircraft also had the umbrella mounts.

n0fUD6S.jpg

EmLCKXz.jpg

Model and photos: Marcel Bastien

Alain

Thanks all! 

More progress.......I got the PE completed along with the entire cockpit.

20190102_095431-XL.jpg

20190102_095456-XL.jpg

20190102_095507-XL.jpg

20190102_095549-XL.jpg

20190102_095616-XL.jpg

20190102_095626-XL.jpg

20190102_095633-XL.jpg

This is where I got to. I ended up getting the front engine and Mg-151 bases on that will hold the Master barrels. These set on a shelf that support those, and to which mounts the IP as well. I got all this and the cockpit attached to the fuselage frame. The front engine has a substantial weight in it, as well as the weight peaking out from behind the firewall:

20190103_094928-XL.jpg

20190103_094941-XL.jpg

20190103_094955-XL.jpg

20190103_095041-XL.jpg

I also sprayed a shot of cockpit color on the sidewalls as well as a bit of sand wash

20190103_095336-XL.jpg

20190103_095341-XL.jpg

I'm headed back down to get the rear engine intake and radiator completed, which is pretty much the last thing needing done before closing up the fuse.

Cheers!

Thanks Carl! The kit fits really nice, and it's a real pleasure to build VS what I had been working on.

It looks a bit average atm, as I will have all panels closed, so things dont look very detailed paint wise.

I probably wouldn't have even painted the engines if I didnt think there may be something seen of them after the panels were closed.

Well, I managed to get the fuselage closed up!

Pics tomorrow.

Cheers!

Lovely work Brian, really interesting to see this taking shape. I guess being a "what if" gives you licence to paint as you wish because I would have thought the real Do335s were RLM66 interiors......I say this knowing nada about the type!! :) 

Oh wow.   How did I miss this!    My new passion in life is replicating real 1:1  WWII instrument panels and when I saw the He-162 I almost choked on my oversized glass of red wine.   Too cool 4 school.   I’m 95% finished with my first panel of the He-162.  (One pressure gage to go).  

Lovely efforts going on here with your Do-335!    

Troy 

Thanks gents! Its really lovely coming along with a kit that fits really well, and this one surely does so far. 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:11 AM, mozart said:

Lovely work Brian, really interesting to see this taking shape. I guess being a "what if" gives you licence to paint as you wish because I would have thought the real Do335s were RLM66 interiors......I say this knowing nada about the type!! :) 

Indeed Max!  But all part of the story.....................

On 1/2/2019 at 3:13 PM, Out2gtcha said:

By the time Marseille got his Do-335 A-2, most all of the Trop versions coming out of the factories in Germany had RLM02 for all the gear bays as well as the cockpit too.  The German command found that not only did  RLM 02 survive the tortuous climate in Africa better,  but also was easier for the pilots to deal with in the cockpit, as the heat built up by some of the RLM 66 cockpits got potentially dangerous. 

The main fuselage halves are is now together, so will take some pics tonight. My back is feeling much better so its getting easier and easier to spend time at the bench.  I'm hoping to get the main fuselage stuff together this week, and maybe by the weekend even a start on the wings and wells.