Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

On 2/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, monthebiff said:

Wow Tom, Super update and she really is looking the part now! Your paintwork looks flawless.

Regards. Andy 

Many thanks, Andy - just don't look too closely! :)

On 2/28/2022 at 1:59 PM, Chek said:

I saw that Sunderland vac kit on eBay over the weekend, and have to say I'm mightily impressed at how you've transformed such a simplified set of

shapes into the beauty we can see in your photos. Great work.

Me too - and for a short time I was tempted as A MkIII or MkV would look good alongside this one. Then, fortunately, common sense prevailed!

12 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

My goodness, how many gallons of paint were needed for that?

What an absolutely epic build, but your builds never fail to impress.

Matt 

Thanks, Matt - appreciated. 

In all I've used 6 tins for Xtracolor paints - plus nearly half a bottle of matt varnish. The surface area is massive and the painting of the main colours took me around 10 hours over multiple sessions. The real issue was manoeuvring the thing whilst spraying - it's too big to hold at arm's length as one wing is longer than my arm can comfortably reach so it was a case of spraying a bit, waiting for it to dry, then doing some more until eventually it was done. Having to isolate for Covid did help as it meant an unscheduled week off work which I took full advantage of!

8 hours ago, Kenneth Joy said:

The personal satisfaction you must have for such a unique subject that you've taken to such an amazing level.  Bravo Sir...BRAVO!!!!

Thank you - and yes it nice to have one of these made up as they certainly are few and far between. I've seen one other on the Seawings website but never one in 'the flesh'. I think a few people have them in their stashes, but I imagine the size of the thing puts them off...

Tom