Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

2 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

I wonder - and you possibly mentioned it earlier - why does ONE exhaust go through the wing ? Did they use it for heating purposes or what ?

Yes - there was a heat-exchange unit in the leading edge on the early models and this supplied cabin heat, etc. You wouldn't want the No2 engine letting you down on a long patrol over the North Atlantic in the middle of winter... :wacko:

24 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Yes - there was a heat-exchange unit in the leading edge on the early models and this supplied cabin heat, etc. You wouldn't want the No2 engine letting you down on a long patrol over the North Atlantic in the middle of winter... :wacko:

Exactly what I was thinking...

On 3/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, Hans said:

Truly impressive work Tom! Now what do you think of the Japanese  Kawanishi "Emily" flying as a follow-on? :coolio:

Thank you - an Emily would indeed be mightily impressive but I'm not aware of a 1/32 kit, even in vacform. I think that would need to be a total scratch-build to be honest.

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I think that would need to be a total scratch-build to be honest.

Pretty sure that wouldn't be much more challenging than some of the, let's say, more rudimentary vacs that you've taken on. And wasn't the Shack a scratchbuild? 

Matt 

12 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Pretty sure that wouldn't be much more challenging than some of the, let's say, more rudimentary vacs that you've taken on. And wasn't the Shack a scratchbuild? 

Matt 

Yes indeed the Shackleton is from scratch, but with much help from the ID Models Lanc. I am wondering whether a Sunderland could provide some parts… you’ve got me thinking now!

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, Hans said:

A guy on the Seawings site has scratch built one in 1:48 scale..No pressure from our side of course..

Have you got a link to this? I have been on the website but can’t find anything of this nature…

Thanks,

Tom