Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

On 12/5/2021 at 12:23 PM, rigor said:

Looking good Tom you make it look so easy 

Thank you - and to be honest as long as you've got good references in front of you it really is not difficult. I don't worry about being 100% accurate as I'd never get anything completed. As long as it looks passable from a distance I'm happy. 

On 12/5/2021 at 1:34 PM, Troy Molitor said:

One of my favorite builds in 2021.  Thanks for sharing this with us Tom.  

Thank you - and it's my pleasure!

On 12/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Since joining LSP and following your builds, I often catch myself wondering if you are even from this planet.  It ain’t natural how you are able to do these things.  I’m not above using sprue and scrap to build things but my finished product always looks like sprue and scrap.  Yours look like little ZM kits or something.

You're too kind - I can assure you there's a lot of trial and error before the finished article appears!

23 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Very nice worknon the gear Tom, I'd be happy with the cat  engine unimpressed rather than pawing all over you superb work  (literally) ;)

Regards. Andy 

That would be a very quick way for her to lose 8 of her 9 lives :D

19 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Yes I totally agree with all thats been said!  My jaw hit the floor when I read this latest update.....unbelieveable workmanship and so clean

Cheers Anthony

Much appreciated, Anthony - thank you!

14 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Tom...

A Masterclass  on how to do the job!

AWESOME  work.. LOVE  the Engine  ( :wub: ).

ooh She looks STUNNING. 

Gotta love it.

:goodjob:

:wow:

:clap2:

:bow:

Than you, Maru!

• 1 month later...

Evening folks,

A long overdue update on the Sunderland...

The last few weeks have been spent adding some of the finer details to the model as I prepare it for paint. The last major job was to add the cockpit glazing which is always a nerve-wracking experience as I regularly ruin canopies with wayward glue-sodden fingers and a host of other mishaps. However, this time things proceeded smoothly - the canopy itself was an excellent fit and the whole process was remarkably trouble free!

First job was to add the previously completed flightdeck details:

51809472792_98e3d09fed_c.jpg

Then the canopy itself was attached by holding it in place with tape and running Tamiya Extra Thin around the mating surfaces:

51810426331_82871e2b21_b.jpg

This was allowed to set for 24 hours and then I carefully masked the areas in need of protecting before blending the clear piece in with Milliput Fine:

51809472857_eaf0f376ee_b.jpg

When complete, the windows were marked out and cut from Tamiya tape before the whole cockpit area got a spray of RAF grey/green to ensure the frames are the correct colour when viewed from inside. I also attached the astrodome and DF loop which was a spare from and HK B-17:

DSC_0027

With that done, other smaller details were made and added such as the leading edge landing lights on the port wing (these will be fitted and painted after the main paint job is completed), the tip lights were made from clear sprue sanded to shape and the various other access panels were either sribed on or made from thin Evergreen strip:

DSC_0026

DSC_0037

The early Sunderlands were festooned with various aerials for sub-hunting and these have been made from various pieces of sprue and Evergreen - I have fitted those on the top of rear fuselage as they shouldn't get damaged but the remainder will be done after painting:

DSC_0050

DSC_0031

A beautiful set of 3D-printed wheels have also arrived to complete the hone-made beaching gear:

DSC_0052

So the airframe is now more or less ready for a mammoth session in the paint booth - you'll notice I've already sprayed her flanks in Medium Sea Grey in preparation for masking off the codes on her sides:

DSC_0041

DSC_0046

Speaking of paint - my go-to brand is Xtracolor's enamel range and I'm stocked up and ready to go!

DSC_0047

I may be a while but I'll be sure to update you when she's in her new dress.

All the best,

Tom

Absolutely gorgeous Tom! I can imagine your relief with attaching the canopy but it sure looks like you had it under control the whole time. Do you smooth out the dried milliput with any sort of thinner or just sand carefully until it's flush with the canopy? Also, where did you find those wheels? 

I can't imagine how you're going to manoeuvre that thing in the paint booth!

Craig

13 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Absolutely gorgeous Tom! I can imagine your relief with attaching the canopy but it sure looks like you had it under control the whole time. Do you smooth out the dried milliput with any sort of thinner or just sand carefully until it's flush with the canopy? Also, where did you find those wheels? 

I can't imagine how you're going to manoeuvre that thing in the paint booth!

Craig

Hi Craig,

The Milliput was smoothed slightly with a damp cotton bud, but then it just a case of gentle sanding as there was a small step along the lower join to eliminate. 

The wheels were designed and produced by a friend who's a bit of a whizz when it comes to 3D design and printing. 

Tom

On 1/15/2022 at 12:46 AM, MARU5137 said:

Outstanding  workmanship   Tom.

:bow:

Thank you, Maru. 

On 1/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, ltdann said:

Check out some excellent Sunderland photos in the Norwegian national archives:

Historiske foto - Arkivverkets digitale fotoarkiv (digitalarkivet.no)

Wow - some amazing shots of many different types there. Thank you for sharing. I noticed a few Catalinas too - very relevant as I've just taken delivery of a 1/32nd one!

On 1/18/2022 at 5:33 AM, Westland WhirlWill said:

This is looking awesome Tom, can’t wait to see it under a full coat of paint! Those 3D prints look great too!

22 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Beautiful work Tom. great stuff.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind words. 

I am hoping to get a splash of paint on her this weekend - probably the extra dark sea grey - as the weather looks promising and the wife and kids are out. Happy days.

Tom