Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Thanks, Alain. I don’t very often buy aftermarket stuff for my builds as I suppose I’m “old school” and try to do it myself. However, the fact that a set of engines would have cost me over £100 meant the decision was an easy one. 

Yes, my students do know about my hobby - I’ve run an after school modelling club for a number of years and it’s always over-subscribed and I’ve even got a waiting list. They love it - I encourage them to build their models their own way and certainly don’t get hung up on making them ‘accurate’. At their age it would take all the fun away. If they want to paint their P-51 bright pink, so be it :)

Tom-

I love this. The next time I’m in the UK, pints on me!

Thor    :ph34r:

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

It's an old American cartoon character (late '50s I think).  Tom Terrific could magically

change himself into anything.

According to Wikipedia, 1957-1959. Broadcast as part of Captain Kangaroo - possibly only in the US

Richard

5 hours ago, RLWP said:

According to Wikipedia, 1957-1959. Broadcast as part of Captain Kangaroo - possibly only in the US

Richard

Captain Kangaroo! I got stuck behind him at the post office once, didn't figure out who he was until later.

Evening all,

This week I have finished off making the floats and have installed them onto the wings -temporarily. 

With the basic structure of the floats done, I removed the head from some nails and epoxied them into the open ends of the alloy struts. After some very careful measuring of plans, I worked out the location of each float and marked this onto the wing:

51521080214_ff1cefe0a4_b.jpg

Just drilling holes and inserting the nails would have meant the join would not have any rigidity, so instead I used some large diameter scrap sprue and inserted this into the wing to act as mounts. These were set into epoxy glue so that they are absolutely rigid and are bedded on to the upper wing surface. These sprue inserts were then filled and sanded flush, before a hole was drilled in each to take the nails and provide a really strong union between the struts and the wing:

51521278325_3463201160_b.jpg

Here is a float in situ - not glued yet as there are additional struts to add but these will come later just before paint in case they inadvertently get a whack during the final stages of production:

DSC_0355

DSC_0346

Here are a couple of shots of the overall airframe:

DSC_0351

DSC_0345

DSC_0342

I've made a tentative start on the transparencies for the cockpit as I want to get this right before I finish off the interior - this will be my next task to complete so hopefully another update in the not-too-distant future. 

All the best,

Tom

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Brilliant solution for the struts, Tom!

Kev

Thanks, Kev - often the simplest ideas are the best...

8 hours ago, brahman104 said:

That is nails man! :rofl: (sorry couldn't help it!). In all seriousness though Tom, great idea and as always, well executed. 

Love it!

Craig

Thanks, Craig - and please don't tell me  being a comedian is your day job :D