Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

Tom,

I always enjoy seeing your progress and I'm always amazed at how quickly you seem to do it (I'm sure at times it doesn't feel that way though!).

A questions for you about vacformed kits: When you're sanding off the excess material around say, the stabilisers, how do you hold onto/move the part in order to sand it?

Awesome work as usual!

Craig

17 hours ago, tomg said:

Tom

You may have already addressed this, if so, sorry.  

Will you be building this gear down, on land?

Great work so far!

Tom in WV 

USA

Hi Tom, this will be finished on beaching gear so this will have to be scratch built. The struts should be relatively straightforward but I may need to explore getting the wheels 3D printed. 

8 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Just caught myself up on this one - we need one of those gobsmacked emojis in the "like" button area. Or a cloth to soak up the dribble that's been leaking from the corner of my mouth.....

Just beautiful Tom!

You’re too kind!

5 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Tom,

I always enjoy seeing your progress and I'm always amazed at how quickly you seem to do it (I'm sure at times it doesn't feel that way though!).

A questions for you about vacformed kits: When you're sanding off the excess material around say, the stabilisers, how do you hold onto/move the part in order to sand it?

Awesome work as usual!

Craig

With parts this size it’s fine to hold one end whilst you sand the other. However, for smaller parts I make a tab from masking tape and hold it that way - I’ll take a picture at some point and show you as that’ll be easier than trying to explain!

5 hours ago, wingman777 said:

This aircraft is impressive as the 1/72 Airfix model but I’ve never seen anyone tackle this beast in 1/32!!  You certainly have my respect and admiration for doing such a good job with this one.  I look forward to seeing the completed project.

That’s kind, thank you! I have seen another built on the Seawings website but I’ve never seen another ‘in the flesh’ as it were. 

Edited by tomprobert
Autocorrect

Afternoon guys and gals,

Another update for you - can you tell I'm a teacher on school holidays? :)

I've been working on the last of the major airframe construction which has been the vertical stabiliser. Here's how it comes in its raw form:

51343337869_9473194895_b.jpg

As usual, I had to scribe on the surface details and then I set about making some internal reinforcements. Being such a massive fin, I made some beefy spars from plastic card and used some old scrap sprue to reinforce and help the bonding of the leading edge. The spars were made to protrude from the base of the fin, as they would then be attached through the top of the fuselage and secured to the spar for the stabilisers using Araldite Epoxy glue for a really solid joint:

51341876087_d9e15dc36f_b.jpg

51343611805_eb5d574008_b.jpg

51343611850_9fcf5cd925_b.jpg

The fin was then blended into the upper fuselage with car body filler, polished and then the missing and damaged panel detail reinstated. Unfortunately, the distinctive curved fairing at the lower rear of the fin was missing in the kit, so I fashioned the basic shape of the fillet from plastic card and blended everything in with filler - see the red arrow below. This will still need some more tweaking when I work on the turret as it's actually quite a complex shape at the back end:

DSC_0309

I've also added some Evergreen ribbing on the rudder in an attempt to match the elevators - this has since been sanded right back and is much more subtle:

DSC_0306

It's now looking more and more like a Sunderland:

DSC_0304

DSC_0300

DSC_0299

It's good to get the main construction done and I've been on a bit of a roll... the next logical step will be the engines so I'm off to do some head-scratching about how I can convert a 14-cylinder Hercules engine (from the Revell 1/32nd Beaufighter) into a 9-cylinder Pegasus. Should be fun!

Until next time,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Impressive stuff indeed. 

I know it would be a pricey option but are you aware that Vector Resin do a 1/32 Pegasus?

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/1-32-vector-resin-pegasus-engine-32-011

Converting an engine that is 360 degrees /7 = 51.42 degrees per cylinder into one that is 360 degrees /9 = 40 degrees per cylinder is definitely something of a challenge! Not impossible but definitely a challenge. Just throwing an alternate route out there.

Best regards,

Paul

17 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Love watching this thing come together.  How do you scribe everything so cleanly? Every time I try to scribe a panel line, it looks like it was done by a blind drunk bear.

Matt 

It's often a case of trial and error and many years of getting it wrong. The key thing is to have a guide for the scribe that doesn't move all over the place, and for that I use Dymo tape. I also only do light passes with the scriber - this way if it does slip it doesn't do too much damage. Each line you see scribed onto the model is approximately 5 to 7 lighter passes with the scriber, rather than just one or two hard passes. 

9 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Hi Tom,

Impressive stuff indeed. 

I know it would be a pricey option but are you aware that Vector Resin do a 1/32 Pegasus?

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/1-32-vector-resin-pegasus-engine-32-011

Converting an engine that is 360 degrees /7 = 51.42 degrees per cylinder into one that is 360 degrees /9 = 40 degrees per cylinder is definitely something of a challenge! Not impossible but definitely a challenge. Just throwing an alternate route out there.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks for the link, Paul - I was aware of the Vector set but it'll set me back a hefty sum to all four engines. I think I have a cunning plan to make something passable using the Hercules cylinders and some plastic pipe for the engine core. The reduction gear housing on the Pegasus is smaller than the Hercules but I may just have to use what I've got. It's going to be very dark in the nacelles, and as long as the number of cylinders is correct I think I can 'fudge' the rest.

All the best,

Tom

56 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Thanks for the link, Paul - I was aware of the Vector set but it'll set me back a hefty sum to all four engines.

There's another problem - the website says 'only 3 left'!

Richard