Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

On 7/14/2021 at 10:55 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Most impressive in size and more importantly your hard efforts.   Looking forward to the horizontal / vertical to go on and some more primer.  Hard to see the details on white vacuum plastic.   

Thanks - and yes the white plastic doesn’t show up the scribing particularly well. I may use a white primer for this as the undersides are going to be RAF Sky so I’m hoping it’ll ‘pop’ once the paint goes on. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:42 AM, brahman104 said:

Bravo Sir!

I thought that join was going to be quite a challenge but you just laughed at it! I imagine with the wings set up now that will make it considerably more challenging to manoeuvre around the table ;) 

Incredible work as always Tom!

Cheers,

Craig 

Thank you, Craig. To be fair, when using fillers such as P38, it really isn’t difficult to fill such large gaps and get everything blended in - and as it sands so well it doesn’t take all that long to whip such ugly joins into place. It often looks a lot worse than it actually is - the whole wing area was actually filled, sanded and shaped in under two hours. 

Tom

On 7/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, richdlc said:

looks awesome Tom...

I assume you are aware of the seawings site?

http://seawings.co.uk

Cheers, Rich - and yes I'm a frequent visitor!

Howdy folks,

I've been busy working on the stabilisers of the big Sunderland of late. As usual, the first job was to scribe on the panel detail:

51332316003_4e35ca0e96_b.jpg

51331369222_64114f8e5d_b.jpg

I did contemplate removing and scratch-building the elevators, but there is some really finely moulded rib detail that is actually well worth keeping. I'll need to add the hinges and with a dark wash along the hinge line when painted, I think they will look fine. 

Each section was cut from the backing sheet and sanded to shape, ensuring the correct depth and thickness. As you can see, the fit was pretty good when test-fitted:

51332832219_f9b521ae9d_b.jpg

Given the fact that the stabilisers are likely to get whacked periodically during the remainder of construction, I wanted them to be nice and sturdy so I have added a plastic card spar, as well as the usual scrap sprue treatment along the leading edges. I've also opted for a brass tube spar system that will fit through the fuselage and offer a really strong set up:

51333101050_9027580cd2_b.jpg

The stabilisers were then trimmed carefully and added to the rear of the fuselage - careful consulting of plans ensured they are in the correct position:

DSC_0280

DSC_0281

The careful trimming of the mating surfaces, along with the spar structure ensured only a lick of filler was needed along the fuselage to stabiliser join. 

She's starting to take shape now:

DSC_0294

DSC_0284

DSC_0285

DSC_0289

DSC_0288

She lacks a bit of stability at the moment, so I better get cracking with the fin...

Until next time,

Tom

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Awesome progress, Tom! I still can't quite visual how big this thing is in person, but I'm sure it's massive.

Kev

Many thanks, Kev.

Here's picture of my daughter (she's 5) holding it - as you can see it's a large model!

IMG_1587

All the best,

Tom

5 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Many thanks, Kev.

Here's picture of my daughter (she's 5) holding it - as you can see it's a large model!

IMG_1587

All the best,

Tom

Well, massive indeed! At least we can confirm that it's not too heavy!

Kev

9 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Well, massive indeed! At least we can confirm that it's not too heavy!

Kev

It's as light as a feather, Kev - there's actually very little to the interior so it really doesn't weigh much at all. Lots of empty voids full of nothing other than fresh air... and a few plastic card bulkheads :)

7 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

It's as light as a feather, Kev - there's actually very little to the interior so it really doesn't weigh much at all. Lots of empty voids full of nothing other than fresh air... and a few plastic card bulkheads :)

I know the feeling.

Kev