Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Progress has lowed a little of late due to work: marking exam papers and end of term reports have, sadly, taken priority!

Anyway, I've been slowly getting the upper wing surfaces scribed. Dymo tape is used for the more complex curves, with a flexible metal ruler for the rest:

51292550948_e8374ca300_b.jpg

I've also, once again, left the wings in their backing sheet for increased rigidity. Fuel tank covers still to be done, but I'm trying to work out the exact shapes of these as I don't think the plans I have are quite right:

51293089624_c71cc970d9_b.jpg

The next task will be to get the wings cut out, sanded to shape and added to the lower surfaces already attached to the fuselage...

Stay tuned!

Tom

On 7/6/2021 at 9:07 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Fuselage looks like the hull of the titanic to me.

Agreed - Sunderlands certainly have that boat-like construction and yes, not too dissimilar hull plates.

The upper wing surfaces are now on - before joining upper and lower surfaces I reinforced the leading edges of the wings with thick left over sprues from the HobbyBoss 1/32nd B-24. This not only provides strength, but gives a much larger gluing surface. It's not neat and it's not pretty, but it does the job. The joining surfaces for the nacelles were done in the standard way using plastic card tabs:

Wing 1

The fuselage to wing join is not great, especially on the left wing. Mind the gap!

Wing 2

However, this will be easily dealt with using filler, but it's always a good idea to pack such large gaps with plastic card:

Wing 3

I took a lot of time ensuring the trailing edges are level at the roots, as well as the upper surfaces being as level as possible without leaving any hard to deal with steps. However, the wing root moulded in the fuselage is actually a slightly different shape to the wing - this is not unusual with vacforms but it does leave an awkward step to deal with:

Wing 4

This will be a job for my trusty P-38 car body filler...

The size of this model is now really apparent - I told the wife we should have bought a bigger sofa!

Wing 5

It'll now be a case of some filling and sanding - stay tuned!

All the best,

Tom

Spectacular indeed Tom, looks superb. The Sunderland is an epic aircraft and always love seeing and walking through the Hendon example which as a kid in the 70s and early 80s I used to love seeing it sat in the restoration hanger at Duxford slow going together.  

Regards. Andy 

Good evening guys and gals...

Another Sunderland update for you, which has mainly involved filling, sanding and scribing. But from a good old fashioned vacform, who'd expect anything less?

The rather unsightly joins at the wing roots have been taken care of over the course of this this week. The first and most challenging task was to eliminate the nasty step seen in the previous update where the wing profile didn't match that of the wing-mounted root. My go to filler for these sort of tasks, P38, soon made short work of that and after an initial sanding session, you can see the extent of the work having been done at the forward wing root:

51311527943_3f10f6297d_b.jpg

I've since spent a fair few hours finetuning the shape and profile of the roots, and also added the obliterated panel detail back. The wing and root profile now match perfectly, and I can confidently say, 'job done':

DSC_0195

DSC_0196

DSC_0198

The undersides still need some detailing but the join was fine here, and as you can see I've boxed in the bomb runners ready for further detailing in due course:

DSC_0204

I've also added the openings for the double-landing light set up on the port wing:

DSC_0193

It's starting to take shape quite nicely now...

DSC_0209

DSC_0206

Next up is making something resembling Sunderland stabilisers from these:

51312049034_c5f77c29af_b.jpg

Until next time,

Tom