Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yikes!  40+" of model is a LOT of model!  Cant wait to see the wings come together however.  I may have missed it, but have you already come upon a scheme for this giant?

As this is a MkII it’ll be in the earlier scheme of sky undersides and ocean grey / dark slate grey on top. I hate spraying white so works well for me!

10 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Morning all,

I dug the wings out over the weekend in preparation for work to commence - as you can see the Sunderland is one LARGE aeroplane. The wife isn't overly impressed. Never mind.

51246091723_92acfabaed_b.jpg

51245176717_03848336fa_b.jpg

Lots of scribing and reinforcing work ahead...

Tom

tom any chance you can do some detail shots and maybe a little instruction on how you scribe the model as you go? I have an F 84F Thunderbird to do and don’t have the slightest idea about how to scribe it. I checked out some of your other work and it’s really helpful AND really big for sure. you do some cool stuff.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, themongoose said:

tom any chance you can do some detail shots and maybe a little instruction on how you scribe the model as you go? I have an F 84F Thunderbird to do and don’t have the slightest idea about how to scribe it. I checked out some of your other work and it’s really helpful AND really big for sure. you do some cool stuff.

Yes of course - when I scribe the upper wing sections I'll take a few shots to show you the tricks of the trade. 

I've had a few pleasant evenings watching Euro 2020 and scribing the wings at the same time - certainly makes a rather boring task more entertaining - unless you're watching England of course...

I don't think the pictures show the panel detail all that well, but you get the general idea from these shots. I scribe the wings whilst still on the backing sheet as this reduces flex and makes the task much easier - here they are with the main lines done:

51253945798_49676889a1_b.jpg

51253013912_32c12389b3_b.jpg

51253744241_03779ef396_b.jpg

I've since removed them from the backing sheet and removed the bomb runners and landing lights on the leading edge of the port wing. I need to give the mating surfaces a final sand and then I'll be adding the lower wings to the fuselage and construct the spars before sandwiching them with the upper wing surfaces.

51253945993_72e1694abc_b.jpg

Stay tuned...

Tom