Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

Wow Tom!!!

I can't imagine how heartbreaking that must've been!!! I'm super impressed at how you managed the will to pick up the pieces and get it moving again....

I like your idea with the tape over the windows...... How do you remove it though? Or do you just push it inside once it comes to installing the real ones?

Looking awesome (and huge!)

Craig

On 6/7/2021 at 8:38 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Wonderful comeback!  She looks amazing.

Love the Phantom, have I missed a build log somewhere??  Very impressive and colours look spot on too!

Thanks, Anthony - I've not been doing a log on the F-4 as I've just been working on it as and when I've felt like it. It's good to have a 'shake and bake' going on behind the scenes when working on long-term vacs such as these. Paints are my trusty Xtracolor enamels...

On 6/6/2021 at 11:34 PM, brahman104 said:

Wow Tom!!!

I can't imagine how heartbreaking that must've been!!! I'm super impressed at how you managed the will to pick up the pieces and get it moving again....

I like your idea with the tape over the windows...... How do you remove it though? Or do you just push it inside once it comes to installing the real ones?

Looking awesome (and huge!)

Craig

Appreciated, Craig - thanks. The tape is low-tac builders' tape and will be pushed through and fished out after painting... he says hopefully...

The long process of scribing the panel detail has begun. This is the culmination of two nights' work so far - with at least another long session needed to finish the upper fuselage:

51235572285_32f584f87f_b.jpg

51233802212_c624a4e050_b.jpg

51235285229_4fb2c39507_b.jpg

51234506451_1f81390d5e_b.jpg

Back soon with an update over the weekend, all being well.

All the best,

Tom

7 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Thanks for the reply Tom!

Gee, it's really starting to look more like a boat than a plane with the panel layout...

Craig

I must confess it reminded me more of the hull of the Titanic than an aeroplane!

1 hour ago, mozart said:

That’s some wonderfully neat and precise scribing work Tom, very jealous of your ability to do that! 

Thank you - I use dymo tape for the complex curves and a simple thin and flexible metal ruler for the straighter lines. It's taken a few years of practice to become proficient at it, but even now I still get the dreaded scriber slips and therefore I have a bottle of CA handy to quickly repair any mishaps as I go.

Taking a break from the tedium of scribing, I've had a look at the mid-upper that was fitted to the MkII Sunderland. 

You get the basic shape of the fairing which is mounted off-set of the centreline (to starboard) on the upper fuselage, and the turret glazing itself (which still has its protective coating on):

51240615749_895b59c0fb_b.jpg

The fairing was trimmed to the correct size using the plans I have, and turret itself has also been trimmed and test fitted after its aperture was opened up:

51240047538_76a9940665_b.jpg

Once the remaining scribing is done on the upper fuse, this will be ready to install.

Take care all,

Tom

Evening all,

I've now completed the scribing of the main fuselage panel lines, and given the whole airframe a gentle rub-down with fine sandpaper to make the surface completely uniform.

The detail doesn't show up as well as I'd like in the pictures, but hopefully they'll give you the general idea.

Forward nose section:

DSC_0167

DSC_0157

Mid-sections:

DSC_0169

DSC_0165

DSC_0159

DSC_0170

And the rear fuselage:

DSC_0158

The mid-upper fairing has been completed and added, the the turret itself test fitted:

DSC_0172

So... here's the state of play. Fuselage as complete as it needs to be at this stage, so I may have a look at the wings next:

DSC_0154

DSC_0161

Until next time,

Tom