Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

• 4 months later...

I've had the Sunderland out again over the weekend. At some point in my future I'll learn to focus on just one model at a time, but I seem incapable of that at the moment...

Now that I'm happy with the interior structure I've done the final positioning of the bulkheads which are now all firmly in place and give a lovely and strong structure to the model:

51057955471_fda49474ae_b.jpg

I've also begun working on the hefty support frames for the pilots' seats - these will be fitted after the fuselage is together but it's easier to work out dimensions and positioning whilst the halves are separate:

51058038067_88a094cb53_b.jpg

I've also made the mooring winch which sits in the nose as well as the racks for additional depth-charges that reside in the centre bomb room:

51057231763_6b1d57363a_b.jpg

These obviously need to be painted before adding - and then I'll be making some of the smaller details to add to the visible areas of the fuselage before I can close her up!

Regards to all,

Tom

For the vac-curious* (like me), this is a great thread. I'm wondering if the large size of the fuselage actually makes getting the halves joined up easier as they will bend more easily

Richard

*Tigger's site is an Alladins cave of unlikely aeroplanes

• 2 months later...

Evening all,

It's been a while since this build saw any action, so time for an overdue update...

Last time I'd been working on this I had made some good progress with the interior and was more or less ready to join the fuselage halves. I finished off adding some details such as the radio operator's chair to the flightdeck and the depth charge racks to the centre section, as this would be impossible to install once the fuselage was together. I'd also fabricated some beefy wing spars and attached these to the appropriate internal bulkheads:

DSC_0091

I also added some low-tac tape to the interior of the cabin windows to keep dust and debris entering the fuselage to the minimum - this can easily be removed after painting is complete:

DSC_0095

It was then that disaster struck - I was happily working away on the kitchen table when the need for a cuppa meant I got up from the table and unbeknown to me, my hoodie had caught on the rear fuselage and whole lot went crashing to the floor. Typically, it was the side where all the bulkheads were glued and as you can imagine, when it hit the tiled floor it was carnage. The interior sections all came away, some breaking into smaller parts. The nose section was totally destroyed and the flightdeck, stairs and forward floors all smashed into an unknown number of pieces. A mammoth, and totally morale-sapping repair job was needed. I simply picked the whole lot up and put it all into a bin liner - manging to overcome the desire to bin the whole thing - and put it into the back of the attic until I could gather my thoughts and find the mojo to repair it all...

...fast forward a few months and I was in the loft having a rummage and I came across a rather sorry bag of Sunderland parts. Suddenly the accident seemed a distant memory and it was time to get going again. The interior was painstaking rebuilt over a few evenings and then it was a case of adding the two fuselage halves together. This went without a hitch, and here we are now:

DSC_0131 (2)

DSC_0133

DSC_0134

DSC_0136

DSC_0138

DSC_0143

It sure is a big old brute - here it is alongside a 1/32nd F-4J that's entering the home straight, and that ain't small!

DSC_0146

Barring any further mishaps, this build is back on track!

All the best,

Tom