Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

On 10/10/2020 at 10:15 PM, tomprobert said:

Isn’t it strange how you can lose interest in a model for months, sometimes years, and then suddenly you pick it up and can’t put it back down again..?

I can totally relate to that - that happened to me as well. Great job on the Sunderland, glad to see you're back working on it. And congratulations on the second baby - enjoy it! We have number two due next April... 

On 10/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, Starfighter said:

I can totally relate to that - that happened to me as well. Great job on the Sunderland, glad to see you're back working on it. And congratulations on the second baby - enjoy it! We have number two due next April... 

Massive congratulations, Ben - my advice is get plenty of modelling in now..!

Evening all,

I've been making some good progress this week on the big Sunderland. Lots of plastic card and Evergreen strip to the rescue, combined with a fair bit of reference checking and head-scratching, and I now have the basic structures of the bomb room and forward fuselage/flightdeck completed.

The bomb room has been kitted out with the basic structure - the doors are actually open on the real aircraft but as I'm not detailing the areas either fore or aft I've used a bit of creative licence and added some doors:

Pic 1

I've made the basics of the bomb racks which will eventually carry the depth charges and added these to the roof structure, which slots nicely between the bulkheads:

Pic 2

The whole structure then sits nicely into the fuselage, which has had its sidewalls detailed with Evergreen for the ribs and stringers:

Pic 5

I've also been busy detailing the underside of the flightdeck floor and added the stairs:

Pic 6

And I've also begun making the basic structure of the flightdeck itself - again the door in the real aircraft would be open but I'm adding large spars to support the wing here so have added a closed door:

Pic 7

This again fits nicely in the forward fuselage section, with more Evergreen for the sidewall structures:

Pic 8

I've also begun making the floor for the forward nose section which has numerous perforations, I imagine for water drainage. I think I may have made these a little large but we'll see how they look under some paint:

Pic 9

The fuselage is doing its best to come apart here, but you can see how the internals sit in the model:

Pic 11

Here's a sense of scale - a Halfords' rattle can is dwarfed by this beast!

Pic 12

A few more bits to make and add before I can give a first squirt of paint to see how it all looks - a nice mixture of interior green and natural metal should bring it all to life nicely.

Until next time, 

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening ladies and gents,

I've not updated this thread for a while but I've nevertheless been beavering away with the mighty Sunderland...

I've made four small tabs on the sill of each porthole which will support the glazing when the time comes. Once these have been painted black and the 'glass' is in, they should be all but invisible:

Pic 1

I've also sprayed the bulk of the interior and the bulkheads black for the areas that won't be seen. The forward section and basic flightdeck structure has been given a coat of British Interior Grey/Green:

Pic 2

Pic 4

Pic 3

There's obviously lots more detailing to be done here, but the basic shapes are coming together quite nicely.

The 'bomb room' in the centre section has been given a base coat of Aluminium in preparation for more detailing:

Pic 5

When the fuselage is closed it should look busy enough when depth charges etc are hanging from the racks:

Pic 6

I've begun making interlocking tabs to help alignment and the joining of the fuselage when the times comes - a must for vacs:

Pic 7

This will give a lovely strong join:

Pic 8

Still lots to keep me occupied on the interior, so until next time...

Tom