Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

Thanks for the interest and video links - much appreciated!

I've been working on detailing the extreme nose section lately, but progress has been slow due to work - books to mark takes up too much of my evening time! However, I'm hoping I'll be ale to post some pictures of my limited progress soon. I'm glad this GB will last the year otherwise I'd never get this completed! :)

Tom

22 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Thanks for the interest and video links - much appreciated!

I've been working on detailing the extreme nose section lately, but progress has been slow due to work - books to mark takes up too much of my evening time! However, I'm hoping I'll be ale to post some pictures of my limited progress soon. I'm glad this GB will last the year otherwise I'd never get this completed! :)

Tom

Hi Tom

Haven't been here in a while - as an FYI  Please note that the Kermit Weeks "Sunderland" is actually

a Sandringham.

In 1963, NZ4108 a Mk V/MR5 was purchased from the RNZAF, flown to Rose Bay in NSW Australia,

where it was converted from a Military Sunderland to a Civilian Sandringham - the whole of

the interior including flight deck was completely changed. Anyone thinking of using Kermit's "Sunderland"

to model their Sunderland will not have a Sunderland at all.

Because the conversion was not done at Shorts in Britain, the aircraft could not be termed a Sandringham

so is called a Sunderland (semantics semantics:rolleyes:).

In the second video especially, Kermit opens the "Oven" or "Church" door from flight engineers position,

you see the Sandringham cabin - the photo below shows what you would see on a Real Sunderland

d99adc47-bb84-4b9d-bd7d-ca590944ed55.jpg

Second Video shows Kermit climbing from lower deck to flight deck straight up  the lower bulkhead, in a Real Sunderland

the ladder is angled and climbs into flight engineers position - note additional equipment not on Kermit's aircraft

3f35676f-6c7a-4be9-9640-8b77f92c0e48.jpg

Hope that helps :)

PS - figured out how to post my images

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller
Edit re- posted photos/typos

So here are two pictures from my trip to RAF Museum few years back (Short Sunderland MR5):

8370548135_79b9279017_c.jpg[

hendon_0311_upr by Juraj Jankovič, on Flickr

8370547981_ba15ce3d12_c.jpg

hendon_0315_upr by Juraj Jankovič, on Flickr

And one from Duxford:

20800601843_6a719de813_b.jpg

FL2015_Day2_20747 by Juraj Jankovič, on Flickr

I hope they help a little.

Juraj

Edited by Trak-Tor

All very helpful, Bruce - thank you!

And if I muck up the cockpit glazing, I’ve now got a great idea for a diorama - it’ll save me work on the engines, too ;)

I’ve nearly finished the basic structure of the forward nose section so hopefully some pictures soon. 

Tom