Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

Afternoon all :)

Some more progress on the Sunderland to update you on...

One of the main problems when building big vacs like this the fact that due to the nature of the plastic and the fact there's no interior provided, the fuselage lacks structural integrity - especially when it comes to adding the wings and tail, etc. Therefore, lots of internal reinforcement is needed to provide enough strength for the model to be able to support itself.

So it was out with the profile gauge and thick plastic card, and slowly bulkheads began to emerge...

39637662803_34e5d4e853_z.jpgDSC_0039 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

For anyone familiar with the internal layout of the Sunderland, you will quickly see these bulkheads and floors are far from resembling reality, but considering next to nothing of the interior will be visible I went for strength over accuracy. The centre-section 'bomb room' as well as the nose section and cockpit are more in keeping with the real thing, however:

45878655334_1f9e1fe60e_z.jpgDSC_0035 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The other fuselage half...

45878654264_259145c9fc_z.jpgDSC_0037 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

..now slides nicely over the other...

45878652084_bf19dfa451_z.jpgDSC_0041 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

...apart from the fact that the starboard fuselage is approx. 4-5mm deeper than the port - a bridge I'll have to cross at a later date!

The sheer bulk of the fuselage and the size of the real aircraft is quickly becoming apparent:

39637660663_c35a21576f_z.jpgDSC_0043 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A few more bulkheads to fabricate, and then it'll be on with making the finer details of the interior areas that will be visible.

Until next time,

Tom

12 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow Tom that pic w/your hand in it really gives an idea of the size of this beast!

Yeah... it's massive. It'll be fine until the wings go on, then all sorts of problems will begin :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I never dared to build a VAC.All the ones I've seen have thin plastic.

This one almost looks injected

The ID Models plastic is thicker (averages around 1mm) than most other vacs I build which is really useful. The latest releases from Tigger also use nice, thick plastic and it makes such a difference - so unlike the cigarette paper Combat  Models use!

3 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

4 to 5 mm difference between both halves? Sounds alarming but perhaps relative to the overall size it is not critical?

I'm curious to see what you will do with this!

Alain

Hi Alain,

Yes, you can see the problem along the bottom of the hull in the second-to-last picture above. I'll build the short area up with card and filler then blend.

3 minutes ago, kkarlsen said:

Great show Tom, do you have drawings/photos for the interior detailing?

Cheers: Kent

Thanks, Kent.

Yes - I have most of what I need - I'm not going to go mad on the detailing - just enough to look ok when peering through the canopy.

Tom

You've done the  B-17, B-24, B-29, Halifax, Stirling (in progress) etc... and now this, can't be much left in terms of monster kits to build in 1/32nd scale? 

Great work mate, hope to catch up this year, although not sure when... I may come down to Southern Expo. 

1 hour ago, Radders said:

You've done the  B-17, B-24, B-29, Halifax, Stirling (in progress) etc... and now this, can't be much left in terms of monster kits to build in 1/32nd scale? 

Although there IS  a B-52 done its only in 1/48th..............................  :whistle:

We do have a 1/32nd BUFF here in town though. I would not fit on my 5' x 5' card table.