Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

Indeed that's a great start!  Here's some motivation for you - an RNZAF Sunderland (think it's a mk.3) from the MoTaT museum in Auckland last month.  Very soon to be joined by a restored TEAL Short Solent flying boat, what an amazing sight that will be.

Now that you have the reference pics, I expect that you will be doing a fully stressed skin effect across your entire kit! :doh:

Bb2XWqx.jpg

MumAQEd.jpg

7u8LtFy.jpg

EI9xD2D.jpg

7MExBKJ.jpg

44nXgIQ.jpg

jX49WfT.jpg

Krrq0LK.jpg

22 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Indeed that's a great start!  Here's some motivation for you - an RNZAF Sunderland (think it's a mk.3) from the MoTaT museum in Auckland last month.  Very soon to be joined by a restored TEAL Short Solent flying boat, what an amazing sight that will be.

Now that you have the reference pics, I expect that you will be doing a fully stressed skin effect across your entire kit! :doh:

What a beast! There’s some great shots there that’ll no doubt come in useful. I don’t suppose you have any of the forward beaching gear do you? The one in Duxford here in the UK is in a cradle, and I think it’s the same with the Hendon example although I’ve not visited the revamped museum yet so can’t be sure. 

In regard to stressed skin... I’m contemplating riveting the model but not sure my skills extend to stressed-skinning it. It’s a such a huge canvass and I think it may be easier to try to fool the eye and replicate the effect with careful painting. 

Tom

35 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Very precise work cutting those portholes Tom, bet it was a real fun filled few hours working through that lot!

Regards. Andy

It wasn’t the most fun I’ve ever had, but it’s ultimately very rewarding!

21 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

I don't know a lot about vacforms, but how do keep the wings from sagging? It has to have one big spar(s) to keep them sag free, and i guess the fuselage needs some reinforcing as well?

Don

Yes multiple spars and fuselage bulkheads will be needed to support it. I’ve been working on the cockpit bulkheads this evening so will post some pictures later this weekend.

The main spars will also be part of the fuselage bulkheads as they run through the centre section for integral strength - well that’s the plan anyway. Hopefully all will go to plan and I can show you how it all works as the build progresses. 

Tom

I've made a start on some of the interior bulkheads and have begun with the flightdeck, making the floor and rear section. The rear bulkhead has a door on the real aircraft which leads through the centre fuselage sections, but for strength I'll be keeping it solid. 

A top-tip to avoid wasting expensive plastic card when making kits like this to use a profile gauge and transfer the initial shape on to cardboard (I use an old cereal packet) and then, when the shape is perfect, copy it on to plastic card. This way, if you make any mistakes it doesn't matter!

45878649964_ac395fccdf_z.jpgIMG_0690 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Now you have a perfectly fitting floor and bulkhead with no wastage:

45878655784_f22edf96f1_z.jpgIMG_0692 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Next up will be the many bulkheads needed throughout the fuselage to keep things rigid - I'm back to school tomorrow though so progress will slow for a while. It's a shame when you have piles of books to mark when there's an exciting project like this on the bench :(

Until next time,

Tom

Hi Tom - ANOTHER awesome build...Question: I tried to look at larger images in your article that I thought I would find on Flickr, but it says This photo is private. Did you intend that to be the case?

Thanks! Enjoying another great build!

Clark

14 hours ago, Shawn M said:

hey Tom, what profile gauge do you use?

I got one and its rubbish with no where near the resolution I need...think Atari vs. 4k TV lol

I use this one:

https://www.workshopheaven.com/shinwa-profile-gauge-c-200mm.html?googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI77inl__d3wIVar7tCh0fUwvzEAQYBCABEgJKDPD_BwE

It's pretty bulky but ideal for these large vacs.

12 hours ago, clarkis said:

Hi Tom - ANOTHER awesome build...Question: I tried to look at larger images in your article that I thought I would find on Flickr, but it says This photo is private. Did you intend that to be the case?

Thanks! Enjoying another great build!

Clark

Thanks, Clark. I'm not sure what's going on there - I'll have a look when I upload the next round of pictures.

Tom