Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

I've had a productive few hours on the Sunderland and the fuselage halves have been removed from the backing sheets, rubbed down and prepared for the detail work to begin. 

The first job was to open up the cockpit, front and rear turrets as well as the bomb windows on the fuselage sides. I'm now having to deal with the numerous portholes along the fuselage halves. I did consider removing the whole window area and replace it all with sheets of clear plastic card, masking the round portholes and then painting. However, there is a real danger of dust and debris getting into the fuselage (especially with amount of filling and sanding that's going to be ahead of me) which would prove to be impossible to remove with the fuselage being sealed and totally ruin the look of the model should it get on the insides of the glazing. So, I've done down the more demanding route of removing each porthole individually and then they will be glazed when all the filling and sanding is complete later in the build. It'll mean cutting glazing individually for each porthole, but will remove the risk of the glazing being ruined by dust etc. 

So, careful measuring of the plans meant the layout of the portholes could be transferred onto the fuselage. These were then drilled first with pilot holes:

45766736334_db2b061edb_z.jpgStep 1 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Using a pair of old sprue cutters, the plastic in the centre is removed:

45577094885_d03f58cfa1_z.jpgStep 2 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Using a sharp blade, the window is then opened up to the correct size and shape:

45766735824_165e136f4a_z.jpgStep 3 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Finally, the porthole is neatened up using some sandpaper:

45577094285_685f214664_z.jpgStep 5 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And this is the progress so far - the left side fuselage is taking shape (still some portholes to be opened up before completion though):

45577093925_601ce466bc_z.jpgStep 6 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I have a completely free day tomorrow so I'm aiming to get the remaining portholes opened up - stay tuned!

All the best,

Tom

Awesome Tom, i see the styrene thickness is perfect to get some things "slapped" on in the interior, have fun building, will follow this one for sure.

cheers,

Jack.

3 hours ago, Markjames1968 said:

You need to buy yorself a good quality rc tapered propellor reamer, its invaluable for holes and multiple windows in vacforms like this

I was going to suggest the same thing. 

19 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Agreed! One tool I’ve been lacking today - will perhaps invest. 

Here's the one I have. 

https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/proddesc.php?prod_id=26&kategoria=538

It's a great tool, well made and very sharp. Mine is close to 20 years old. 

Great progress on the plane too. Where do you display all these big builds of yours?

Carl

All I can say is most pretty much what everyone else has said in that this is one seriously cool project Tom! I had no idea you could even get a 32nd scale Short Sunderland, but I guess in vac form there is more variety. I'd love to know how you can keep these monstrous creations that you seem to have a never ending stream of come off your work bench.

We reap the rewards for it none the less with items like this. I'll be tuning in for sure

I'll be watching your progress very carefully Tom, especially for tips and techniques that I can use when I re-start my vac-form Anson, which of course is dwarfed in every respect by your Sunderland project!! 

8 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

All I can say is most pretty much what everyone else has said in that this is one seriously cool project Tom! I had no idea you could even get a 32nd scale Short Sunderland, but I guess in vac form there is more variety. I'd love to know how you can keep these monstrous creations that you seem to have a never ending stream of come off your work bench.

We reap the rewards for it none the less with items like this. I'll be tuning in for sure

There are some seriously cool subjects to be found in the dark and mysterious world of vacforms... no doubt the fact I've decided to build this will mean an injection-molded one will be released soon ;) In regard to where they're kept - the attic, sadly, as it's the only space in my house big enough!

7 hours ago, mozart said:

I'll be watching your progress very carefully Tom, especially for tips and techniques that I can use when I re-start my vac-form Anson, which of course is dwarfed in every respect by your Sunderland project!! 

I'll look forward to seeing you get back into the Anson again - I was enjoying your progress. There's a great article on the Anson in this month's 'Aeroplane' and I thought of your build when I saw it.

6 hours ago, Stevepd said:

Now there are some great builds going on in the forum and the GB, but this for subject matter stands out (in my opinion). What a great GB this turning out to be:clap2:.

Steve.

Agreed, Steve. One of the best, if not THE best, group builds to date. There's so much variety and some super projects taking shape.

In regard to the Sunderland, I've had a quiet day at home today without the wife and child and have completed the drilling out of all the portholes. The light beat me for decent photographs so I'll try to get some uploaded tomorrow.

All the best,

Tom