Two-Stage Mosquito

seiran01

I have to admit picking which kit to build first for the GB was a bit tricky, but in the end, it's going to be the HK Mosquito IX/XVI with the two-stage Merlins, done up as a Mossie TT.35 target tug with bulged bomb bay doors.  I have yet to decide if I will attempt to build the target winch fixture that some photos show, or if I will simply build the plane OOB and slap some bright paint on it. Either way it'll be yellow/black striped undersides with painted aluminum on top. Also undecided yet if it will be a scheme with the added dayglo stripes as seen in the image below.

At this stage, the only planned aftermarket are eduard canopy masks and a zoomy cockpit PE, and Barracuda's two Mossie stencil decal sheets.  The aftermarket items were ordered yesterday and won't arrive until next week, so I'll start the assembly on the wings and post photos once I get this baby on my workbench later today or tomorrow.  Should be a fun one!

a5041705-52-Mosquito%20TT%20Mk%2035.jpg

SUPER COOL mate!  I am really going to enjoy seeing your awesome skills applied to that one.

Holler if you need any help. Remember I have some spare Tamiya Mossie bits in my stash from when I was involved in its development and might be able to help out with stuff...don't know what though.

Cheers

Anthony

1 hour ago, jenshb said:

Thank God it wasn't a TT.39:)  Will certainly be a colurful model that still retains the lovely lines of the Mosquito.

If I did the 39 I’d have to kick my own ass, that thing is a monstrosity!

thanks Anthony. 

On way way home from a friends place with the SAM mossie book, it has some great detail drawings and pics of the target tug

Hmm... have just seen a side profile of a standard mk.35 bomber in the late bomber scheme of grey over black and it's mighty pretty looking. Cannot find any photos of aircraft in this scheme however. Does anyone know where I might find some, or have some they can share?  

Alrighty at this stage I'm leaning more heavily towards the bomber version of the mk.35, in the sea grey over black scheme circa 1950. This aircraft was featured on a 1/48 Aeromaster sheet which I'll use as a basis for paint masks

Left.jpg

Have started construction at the tail and while I quite like the one-piece front and rear fuselage, the slide molded tail surfaces have already irked me with cleanup of flash, mold separation lines, and awkwardly-placed sprue gates that for the most part would not be present in a traditionally molded kit. Have had trouble with the fit of the trailing edge inserts in the tail surfaces also, and I have to go in and pull them out to allow the elevators to sit flush. 

The wing looks like it'll be a similar story of needing attention where attention shouldn't be needed - but that said (or griped!), I really love the fabric effect of "rib tapes" across the fuselage. You can even make out the pinked (= serrated) edges along the tape that are cut in to eliminate fraying of the fabric strands. WOW!

Here you see the horizontals and rudder friction-fit, the tail is glued in place already. Checking fit of the wing to nose also, there may be some gaps needing attention but I won't know for sure until the internals are in place. 

GROsO1Wh.jpg

xoEWPmEh.jpg

I spent some time tonight preshading and painting MRP RAF interior green on all the major parts needing it. Not the bomb bay though as this will be built with doors closed. For the most part, the cockpit detail is pretty nice - in some areas lacking the level of detail and finesse of the Tamiya Mossie, but in other areas it's very nicely done. The seat cushion effect is the nicest I've seen on a kit outside of Wingnut Wings. 

Just one glaring problem spot with the cockpit, there's a pretty noticable gap between the bulkhead behind the crew and the "floor" of the radio tray which is glued in place on top of the wing.  Parts are all dry fit and only held in place with friction in the photo below, this wasn't improved by my trying to press the edges closer together. 

YfiEq1Dh.jpg

K56BP39h.jpg

The mk.35, along with other late marks of the plane and anything done post-war, has a landing light in the leading edge of the right wing.  Nothing is mentioned in the kit (no need), but much to my delight there is a faint depression for the landing light cutout molded into the wing, and the cover is also included on the clear sprue. Just need to make a few cuts and whip up a very simple double light to fit inside! This area is marked in blue below, because why not :)

wcFNZDqh.jpg 

I just noticed NASM's Mossie in storage a half hour from me is a B.35 that was converted to a target tug, and then repainted before being given to the museum. Rather enjoying the blistered canopy on this one! 

Anyone with good knowledge or references, do you know if the bomber versions of the mk.35 had the top blister? I've only seen photos of the target tugs with it.

DH.98 Mosquito B35 TH998 Silver Hill 1-2-01

NASM Mosquito B/TT.mk.35 cockpit shot - see the full size image at https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/de-havilland-dh-98-btt-mk-35-mosquito, it's a large high res photo with an amazing level of detail. It's interesting to me to see that the cockpit sidewalls appear to have been painted black yet the nose is still green.  It doesn't seem to be an effect of the lighting used for the photo either. 

deliveryService?id=NASM-SI-2006-20908