You know these little models are nothing like their full size partners. When I need to figure out if I have the bodywork smooth on a car I lay a paper towel on the surface, lay my hand flat on it, and then slide it across the new bodywork. It's amazing how if you take your eyes out of the process and just use feel how well you can tell of the surface is flat. Not here! So I initially did some sanding on the offending parts shown above and I ended up with a step down in the bondo. Not what I wanted :oops:

IMG_4405-L.jpg

Time to break out more tools...This is a great profile tool for models...and the kids thought it was for facial recognition, bah.

IMG_4417-L.jpg

Obviously the right side is lower than the left, so I need to add putty. 

The workbench now looks like this :whistle:

IMG_4423-L.jpg

This was the worst side. This pic shows how far back I brought the putty to feather in the edge and get the profile correct.

IMG_4426-L.jpg

Much better profile now. I also did one on the sides but I'll spare you those views :rolleyes:

IMG_4421-L.jpg

Final version, 1 day's worth of time. I made sure to let everything dry. I tend to move too fast and sand before anything is dry...

IMG_4427-L.jpg

IMG_4428-L.jpg

IMG_4429-L.jpg

Lots of little stuff this weekend is starting to come together. I had to fill and rescribe most of the wings. I only left the hinge joints alone. Along the top of the fuselage those panel lines were part of the resin part, the rest I did. They are a bit deep and wide now that i see them in primer so i will have to try and minimize them as I’d rather not fill and rescribe if I don’t have to. Later this week I’ll scribe the front fuselage and then it’s time to join the halves together!

IMG_1597-XL.jpg

not seen are the stabilators. I drilled and pinned them so they will rotate like they should when in the fuselage. The vertical tail is pinned and sanded. Once i do the lights in it I’ll glue it on. I wouldn’t do that yet but it needs filler and the scribed lines have to cross from the tail onto the fuselage so I’m stuck there.

lov’n this group build!

Edited by themongoose
Grammar

Stellar week here - I got a personal tour of the AT-38B Thunderbird at the Aviation Museum of Kentucky! In all my searches it’s never come up, until last week. I called and they had the team working on projects there set me up with a ladder so I could grab shots of both cockpits. It’s hard to find walkaround pics of these planes for some reason. I swept the floor for them basically while taking pictures under the plane as well as all around it. Have the last details needed to finish the cockpit. I’ll detail things out as i go forward. Here’s a few shots from the trip.

IMG_4799-L.jpg

IMG_4918-XL.jpg

IMG_4583-XL.jpg

IMG_4740-XL.jpg

Wow there's so much work going on in this GB! I read at lunch and in the evening to keep up. I didn't want one but I may get a Lanc after watching 4 or 5 of them go together. I'm at least building virtually with you guys. I haven't worked on a prop plane since high school, dang that'll be a whole new set of painting and weathering skills.

Limited bench time during the week for me. Decided to work on the pilot since I could do alot in a short time. This is the 1980 season uniform.

I primered him in Vallejo black primer this time. I tried white and grey on past pilots. White was not my favorite as the colors washed out...read red was a little pink :wub:

IMG_4981-X2.jpg

Boy it's hard to take a good pic of a figure with an iphone. Did my best here to show some detail. I am really improving my airbrush skills. Kinda forced to. The black was impossible to cover using a brush. you could really see through it. Dang transparency of red! So I airbrushed both the red and white without masking him. 25psi, 15 drops color, 5 drops thinner, 1 drop reducer.

His helmet is gloss varnish. Shirt, gloves, and pants are satin varnish. Parachute, mask, and harness are flat varnish. I don't have a defuser for the light. For those of you in the know is that why I get so much reflection? 

IMG_5009-X3.jpg

IMG_5010-X3.jpg

Here's where my camera fails. That's the Thunderbird patch on his right chest pocket. Looks more like a blob here. In person the decal looks good under the magnifier. Looks like a blob though to the naked eye. You guys know how that is right, you know it's there even if it is hidden!

IMG_5011-X3.jpg

For this last one I think I'll have to make my own helmet decal. I'm fresh out from past decal sheets. I bought some white decal paper today so maybe I will check out the tips forum this weekend and see if I can learn how to do this.

IMG_5012-X3.jpg

Working on both ends this weekend. Trying hard to get to a point where i can prime it all 1 color. 

There were gaps at the exhaust. The Belcher bit kit instructions said to expect it to be rough and that it should be sanded down. To keep the overall length and avoid trying to square everything up i decided to add a spacer. Turned out to be perfect because now there’s a slight gap between the nozzles whereas before they touched at the base of them.

IMG_5013-XL.jpg

IMG_5026-XL.jpg

IMG_5027-XL.jpg

on the nose I worked to scribe the new panel lines. Started with a template to sketch it out in pencil. 

IMG_5024-XL.jpg

the big panels were scribed. While i was looking at Archer Rivets I discovered they have a sheet of miscellaneous panels and fuel doors. They all have rivets...wow just what i need for this plane under the cockpit. 

IMG_5025-XL.jpg

and then last i worked on the light for the landing gear. This thing is 5.5mm in diameter. Not enough spares for me in my short modeling career to have this. I was able to make one though out of the main runner from a clear parts sprue! Sanded some curvature on it using a special sanding block for pool cues. It’s shaped just like the face of a light. Some sanding and polishing and POOF 1 light. Covered the surface with blue tape and cut it off.

IMG_5019-XL.jpg

Traveling for a few days, so till next weekend happy modeling!

Edited by themongoose
spellcheck

Time to force myself to take a break and let some glue dry. I've got the fuselage halves together. Originally I thought I would use putty to build up the belly but looking at it yesterday it just seemed like too much. I am afraid it will crack in the future. Thought about it overnight and didn't really have a good solution until just a little bit ago. I cut out the shape I wanted from some styrene sheet and then used my heat gun to soften it and shape it. Now I need some thin sheet along the side and it will take just a little bit of putty to taper all the edges into the fuselage.

IMG_5043-L.jpg

Here's a broader view. I have all the scribing done. This morning I also installed the landing light on the nose.

IMG_5042-L.jpg

That's all for now folks!

Tonight I had some time while the wife was talking to her mom...can you say 2 hours lol.

I made a splitter plate for between the intake and the fuselage. Dang this is small. It's 0.010 styrene.

IMG_5048-XL.jpg

I made a spacer so I could hold it in place while using a needle to apply the CA. There's a 1st for me haha.

IMG_5055-XL.jpg

Finished product! Some sanding and a little primer, then repeat for the other side.

IMG_5057-XL.jpg

I'm getting closer to primer for the whole plane. I keep telling myself that...I thnk to keep the mojo up because every time I go into the workshop I find another detail I have to do before I can primer.