I got her all in 1 color tonight, Citadel's Corax White primer. I like these because they go on so thin, yet come from a large spray can. There's some touch up work do do. To be expected though. The wing joints came out peachy and they are full of filler so that's a big plus. Most of my time will be spent along the canopies. It's such a high visibility area that it has to look better than it does now. 

IMG_5197-L.jpg

IMG_5198-L.jpg

IMG_5199-L.jpg

IMG_5201-L.jpg

IMG_5200-XL.jpg

The rivets, hinges, and fasteners appear crisp. This is the 1st time I've used this kind of detail/product so I wasn't sure what to expect beyond the photos I've seen. They blend in well and give some depth to the aircraft. Going to be a fun week now for sure. 

Edited by themongoose

Thanks for checking things out gang. I've got some more progress after a day of snow. Spent my time during the week finishing little stuff, plus one area on the bottom I just didn't like so I redid one side of the bulge just in front of the air brakes. Today has been all about fine line tape. Wish I had more to show, though I did get out to a movie with the family and made a big dinner so it was a good mix of bench and family time today. 

With a mix of kabuki tape and 3M fine line the patterns are coming together. here's an example; I printed a set of decals on paper and then traced them out on the kabuki tape.

IMG_5226-XL.jpg

Clear scotch tape works well to hold it all together until you are ready to pull off the sections you want to paint.

IMG_5227-XL.jpg

This morning I taped the top for the red and blue. Just the area around the cockpit and the spine left to do.

IMG_5229-L.jpg

and this afternoon and evening I worked on the bottom for the red and blue. I still have to tape between all the guidelines that are laid down. 

IMG_5228-XL.jpg

Tomorrow night I'll finish up the guidelines and spray some clear to seal all the edges. Most likely won't see color until Tuesday. I decided to attack the paint scheme a little differently this time. On the last 3 I painted all the gloss white first then went back and did all the taping and sprayed the color coats. While this worked it was hard to cover the white, the red and blue are just a bit translucent so I have to add more coats. And the red tends to look a little pink at first. lol That's the reason I used the kabuki and kept the pieces in register. I plan to cover the red and blue with the tape and spray the white around everything. Wish me luck!

Edited by themongoose
added a comment

Finally, after all these months...COLOR!

I reduced the MCW paint 60/40 with MrColor Leveling Thinner. Then I worked up the opacity in 4-5 coats. The larger areas under the wings and along the spine took 5 in blue. Surprisingly the red covered in 3 coats.

57352430299__DB4D6EAB-1D72-49DC-AB3E-251

IMG_5231-L.jpg

IMG_5232-L.jpg

Here's 4 with the blue. I ended up putting one more coat on after this pic.

IMG_5233-L.jpg

IMG_5234-L.jpg

Clear coat and then let it sit for a few days. Kids have a bunch of stuff going on so I'll probably tape it up Friday night and then do the white on Saturday. Long day. Good morning to all you guys in Australia and around the Pacific!

All the major work is done! The highs - gloss is probably the best I've ever managed to attain and the colors came out vibrant. The lows - the blue had a tendency to peel :shrug: nothing that can't be fixed. Just didn't get the bottom cleaned off well enough before painting would be my guess. I want to sand the gloss down and apply another uniform coat over everything so the cockpit will stay closed up tonight. Lots of little stuff to do. On track to finish her up this week for sure!

This hasn't been wetsanded yet so those edges where the tape was removed will go away after sanding.

IMG_5258-L.jpg

IMG_5256-L.jpg

IMG_5254-L.jpg

Any advice on doing the touchups would be valuable. Should I tape an area around them and airbrush or should I thin out some paint and brush them in a couple coats, or maybe something else?